A few quick looks

Disclaimer: written by @chapcha

He watched her as she threw her head back laughing and couldn't help but smile to himself. He loved how she laughed. He loved how she smiled. He loved her deep red hair and her emerald green eyes. He loved everything about her. In short, he loved her.

If only she'd give him a chance.

Every time he tried to talk to her she would either ignore him completely or call him a prat and tell him to get over himself.

In spite of that, he still loved her.

He continued watching her over the top of his book. He couldn't tell exactly what she was talking to her two best friends about, but it must've been funny because Lily was still laughing.

Slowly, Lily stopped laughing and got up to use the bathroom. James, not wanting to get caught staring, began to read his book. After about three minutes, Lily was out of the bathroom and walking back to her friends. Once James was sure she was sitting again he chanced another glance, but immediately stared back at the pages in his book.

He could have sworn she was looking at him.

Lily was sitting by the common room fire with her friends, Mara and Alice. They were talking about how fake Professor Slughorn's toupee looked and Alice had just made a rather funny joke about it sending Lily into peals of laughter.

To someone else, it would have seemed as though Lily was taking in every word of the conversation, but that wasn't the case. In reality, she was stealing glances at one James Potter.

Last year, she wouldn't have given James the time of day unless it was to yell at him for being a big-headed prat, but this year he seemed to have changed. He stopped asking her out at every possible opportunity and stopped bullying anyone who annoyed him. This year he seemed to have grown up.

Sure, he still made arrogant remarks, but they were all in good humor. Yes, he still ruffled his hair constantly, but Lily realized that it suited him, and he was, even though she hated to admit it, rather attractive.

In fact, James Potter was alright in Lily's opinion.

"Lily...?" Mara said in a singsong voice. "Come back to reality, dear." She snapped her fingers repeatedly in front of her face.

"Huh? What?" Lily asked, coming back from a pleasant day dream she was having.

"I just asked if I could borrow your Charms notes. You see, I was having a nice conversation with Remus today, and I missed something. So can I?" Mara replied, and then a sly grin spread across her face. "So, who is it you were thinking about?" she said teasingly.

"Oh, yeah, of course. I was, err... just thinking about pottery. Not someone... pottery." Lily said, her face reddening.

"Oooh! Who is the apple of your eye, Miss Evans? Is it Amos? I always said you'd make a cute couple, you know," Alice said suggestively.

"Alice, stop playing matchmaker. I wasn't thinking about Amos. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom."

On the way back to her friends she took a longer look at James and noticed what he was reading. Quidditch Through the Ages. Lily had read this book before but hadn't found it that exciting, though she saw James reading it often.

When she sat back down with her friends, she took one more look at James, only to find him look up at her. She blushed and quickly looked away. When she looked back moments later, she saw him smirking.

Lily engaged in another small conversation with Mara and Alice and then they told her they were heading off to bed. Lily told Mara the notes were on her night stand, and bid them good night.