potting lilies

disclaimer: written by someone on tumblr

not sure if this is the right story name but i'm pretty sure it is

The seventh years of Gryffindor sat in a circle by the dying fire, a comfortable darkness enveloping them. The other students had long gone to bed, and the castle was quiet.

Lily and Marlene sat cross-legged beside the fireplace, the orange glow illuminating half their faces. James, Sirius and Remus lounged on the floor, backs against the sofa, while Peter perched on the arm. Alice and Frank occupied the loveseat.
They'd gone through all the routine topics already, each swigging a bottle of nicked butterbeer. It had been determined that the hottest Ravenclaw boy was definitely Benjy Fenwick, having grown a full set of biceps over the last summer. Have you seen those arms, Lily had gushed, and James had reflexively flexed his own. Not that he cared what Lily thought of arms, of course.

Duncan McAdams and Lucy Song had been the most recent couple to get caught out by a prefect, they'd shared, and Lily had mouthed to Sirius, what about you? Sirius merely winked back, tying his hair into a sloppy bun.

Who is the fittest teacher, Alice had asked, and a chorus of MINERVAAAA by James and Sirius had earned a cushion in the face each from Remus.

When the laughter died down, Marlene took another swig, set the bottle down, and looked around.

"All right," she announced, "embarrassing things about each other."

Sirius spoke up at once. "Peter talks in his sleep."

"I do not!"

"Remember when you fell out of bed at bloody four in the morning, screaming about cheese?"

"That was ONE TIME," Peter sniffed indignantly, "and you'd stolen all my waxed cheddar."

Lily threw her hair back with a laugh, and James had to admire the way it looked, glowing in the light of the fire. Well, no, he didn't have to. And he shouldn't. He blinked a few times, turning back to his friends.

"Sirius spends half an hour on his hair a day." It was Remus who spoke next.

"I thought you said it was natural!" Marlene gasped in mock indignation.
"Look." Sirius raised his hands. "The Scottish rain isn't good for the curls."
Marlene rolled her eyes, but Lily nodded in understanding, brushing her fingers through her waves. James blinked again.
"James," Frank announced, "has taken to wearing cologne. He's definitely trying to some girls."

Peter leaned in to take a sniff, laughing in confirmation. James felt his cheeks burn. He wasn't trying to impress some girls. He wasn't trying to impress a girl, either, thanks.

"Alice sleeps in the cutest little teddy bear pajamas, even though they show her ankles and she's had them since first year." Lily said, blowing her a kiss.
Frank snorted. Alice gave him a slap on the arm, laughing.

"My mum made them for me, okay? It's not like you're any better, Lily, sleeping in just that giant Quidditch shirt and your knickers."

James's head snapped up, which he hurriedly disguised as noticing something really interesting, so so interesting going on at the back of the room.

Knickers. A giant Quidditch shirt. A giant Quidditch shirt that may or may not have been his, from that one time it started raining heavily during one of their patrols and they had to take cover in the changing rooms. And she'd gotten cold, so he'd tossed her a clean practice shirt from his locker. No, definitely not a Quidditch shirt that would be just right for him, but too big for the petite Lily Evans. Knickers. Lily sodding Evans in some knickers and his shirt.