The first time james met lily

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

This was it. A sense of excitement filled the air as James made his way through the train. This was the day he was finally off to Hogwarts. The calls of parents still drifted through open windows while students, some already in their school robes, rushed past. James was glad that the inside of the train was not nearly as smoky as the outside, for with all the trunks in the way it was already a miracle he hadn't tripped. Students of all ages were already waving wands and schoolbooks about, knocking anyone in the head that wasn't fast enough to dodge. James even had to swerve out of the way as a cat suddenly darted past him, screeching and hissing at anyone who tried to touch it. A boy who looked about his same age followed, arms out in an attempt to catch the snarling thing. The round-faced boy blundered out an apology as he passed, panting heavily. James just grinned. He could tell he was going to love school already.

Pulling his trunk behind him, he continued past compartments packed with older kids who had already said goodbye to their parents. Shouts of laughter and greetings between old friends rang back and forth as doors slid open and shut. James found himself dodging student and animal alike as he made his way to the back of the train. Pulling his luggage was no easy work. He could only hope the rest of this year would not be as difficult.

"Excuse me!" James said, pushing his way through the crowd as the train hollered its last horn and lurched into motion. "I need to get through." With one last tug on his trunk and some exclamations of pain as its wheels rolled over unsuspecting feet, it seemed that James had finally emerged into a quieter part of the train.

Turning behind him, James stared at all the hubbub in amazement. Couldn't they all get settled into compartments and then enjoy each other's company? Rolling his eyes, he began to pass compartments filled with only a few students and most of them young. No...no... James thought as he passed each compartment. It seemed almost everywhere had been taken. No... that one too...nope...no...n-aha!

At first glance the compartment had seemed empty, but a closer look as he reached for the handle let James realize that someone else did indeed occupy the space. It was a girl with red hair and she even looked about his age. James hesitated for a moment, his hand pausing on the handle. It was technically her compartment. What if she had been saving it for other people? Looking up and down the hall, James noticed with dismay that the train was filling up. Soon enough, there wouldn't be any spaces left at all. James looked back at the girl again. She didn't look like she'd mind company, and plus, its not like he had any other options.

Sliding open the door, James drew his trunk inside the room. "Do you mind if I join you?" James asked as the girl looked at him, startled. "Everywhere else is full."

She shook her head and James noticed that her eyes were slightly watery, as if she had been crying. He inwardly groaned. His mother had warned him that some people might be homesick, but James had hoped he wouldn't encounter any of them. He just prayed she lightened up soon. They were on their way to Hogwarts and James wanted everything to be perfect.

Sliding his trunk onto the top shelf, James snuck a glance at the redhead. Her gaze was trained out the window at the passing countryside, her mind clearly elsewhere. With a grunt, James pushed his luggage as far back as it could go and fell back into the seat opposite her with relief.

"Are you a First Year too?" James asked after a moment of silence had passed. The girl sneaked a glance at him and James realized that she was pretty, quite pretty in fact.

The girl nodded. "I am," she said.

"I'm James," he said proudly, as he stuck out his hand, "James Potter."