Advice Beneath Starry Eyes

KNOW YOUR WORTH

Disclaimer: written by @fssquiggles

A/N okay so this isn't jily, it's a bit of Lily Luna Potter, and James Sirius Potter being cute little siblings. It's adorable and I had to share this

Lily Luna Potter sighed as she stared up at the twinkling, night sky. She had managed to climb up onto the roof of Hogwarts, a feat she would have been quite proud of if she weren't feeling so horrible. Her eyes watered whenever she thought of what Michael had done. She kept reminding herself that she shouldn't be crying over some stupid boy. She was invincible. She was the spitting image of her mother, in features and personality. What she should have been doing, instead of bawling like a baby, was to march back into the Slytherin Common room and give that git a piece of her mind.

More tears streamed down Lily's face. Why couldn't she be more like her mother? People would always tell her how much she resembled her mother. "Except for the eyes," they would say. "She has her father's eyes." Lily knew she'd never be able to live up to the expectations. She might be independent; she might have a temper as fiery as the color of her hair, but she would never meet the expectations to be like her mother, or, for that matter, her namesake. She wasn't even a Gryffindor.

Lily pulled her knees up to her chest, the stars blinking far too brightly, as the tears trickled down her cheek. It seemed as if all the insecurities she ever felt was trying to escape from her body, through her tears.

"Lily? What are you doing up here?" James' voice made Lily jump.

"N-Nothing. Just sitting," Lily called back, trying to steady her voice. She quickly wiped away her tears, smiling, as James appeared, his hair as unkempt as ever.

James sat down on Lily's right. From up close he realized that his little sister had been crying. He sighed. Lily knew he didn't like it when she cried.

"What's wrong, Lils?" James asked, quietly. Lily shook her head.

"Nothing's wrong. What could possibly be wrong? I'm fine," Lily winced slightly at how fake she sounded. Quickly, she changed the subject, "Anyway, what are you doing up here so late at night?"

James smirked, "I don't think you want to know, Lils. It'd probably be best if you knew as little as possible, really." He winked. Lily looked at him curiously but decided to not question him. She really didn't want to get involved in one of his pranks.

James really was living up to Granddad's name, wasn't he? He was an excellent Quidditch player, looked a lot like Granddad, was one of the best pranksters in the school, and he was even a Gryffindor. Lily's eyes stung. Even Albus was a Gryffindor.

"I heard that you and Michael had a row," James said sourly, after a few moments of silence. James didn't take it too well when he found out Lily had a boyfriend. Actually, James fainted when he found out. Though that was probably because he and Fred had stumbled upon Michael and her snogging in a broom closet. James made a face, obviously recalling the broom closet memory.

"How did you hear about that?" Lily asked, trying to hide her surprise. Her eyes stung and she blinked several times, trying to keep her tears at bay. Just thinking of Michael made her eyes sting.

"News travels fast in Hogwarts, baby sister, especially when most of the school could hear you yelling in the first place," James told her, sounding quite serious. "What did that git do to you?" Lily looked up at him. James was never serious. He was usually the one cracking jokes and smiling like an idiot, specifically during the most inappropriate times.

"I-I'm fine. Really, James." Unfortunately Lily's voice cracked and fresh tears spilled down her face. She grimaced. She could feel James's eyes practically staring into her soul.