Chapter 5:The Partnership

Zane Miller ♠️

This past weekend was interesting to say the least. I went on a blind date and was rejected before I even sat down. If I said the rejection didn't sting coming from a pretty girl like Mia, I would be lying. I was a confident guy and I usually didn't have much issues with finding a woman. The problem was, I had problems finding a woman who had some kind of substance to her and didn't just want me because of how popular I was at school.

I was what you called a super senior. I was 27 years old and still hadn't graduated college yet. I blamed this set back on the fact that in my earlier years, I consumed myself with a social life that outweighed my academics. But now I was older and wiser. I still had a social life but I also knew how to balance my schedule better.

Today was the first day back on campus after our summer vacation and it was just as busy as I'd expected. The first day was always the most hectic as incoming freshmen wandered the campus looking lost as hell while others rushed across the school in order to get to their classes on time. I zoned everyone out as I causally strode to my first class while thinking about the failures of this past weekend.

I contemplated telling Alicia about my awkward encounter with her friend. But for now, I decided against it in order to wash my hands of the situation and avoid the drama. I really wondered what Alicia saw in Mia as a person. I knew Alicia and I knew that she didn't harbor not even an ounce of the same hate that I saw coming from her friend. I had to assume that Mia was probably good at hiding her true nature in front of Alicia. I chuckled at the idea that Alicia thought we might've been compatible.

Mia obviously had some prejudices and things she needed to work through and I wasn't going to be the one to try and take on that hectic project. When people harbored those kinds of sentiments, they needed a whole lot of time and therapy to heal them.

Whatever the case, I was glad my night wasn't entirely a bust. I met some girl named Shelly and she invited me back to her place. When I started speaking with Shelly, I couldn't help but notice how Mia watched us from a far. The more she watched, the more compelled I felt like I needed to give her a show. I wanted to get under her skin like she got under mine.

(Zane at school)As I reached my building, I decided to forget about this weekend and focus on my final semester in school

(Zane at school)
As I reached my building, I decided to forget about this weekend and focus on my final semester in school. While approaching my first class of the day, I spotted Harper, a longtime friend of mine. Harper stood right outside the classroom door with her boyfriend Corey. I watched as Corey leaned in and gave Harper a chaste peck on the lips before looking up and spotting me. He waved from a distance and I waved back. That's when Harper also noticed me. She turned in my direction and greeted me with a smile.

"Hey guys." I greeted both Corey and Harper simultaneously as I approached.

"Hey bro. Sorry I can't hang longer. Today's been hectic as hell so I gotta keep it moving." He stated as he began to walk away while still facing us.