Chapter 4:The Date

Mia's POV

Setting: TreeHouse Restaurant in Downtown Miami

When I arrived at the restaurant, I was taken aback by how lovely the ambiance was; the pictures Alicia showed me earlier didn't do the place any justice

When I arrived at the restaurant, I was taken aback by how lovely the ambiance was; the pictures Alicia showed me earlier didn't do the place any justice. It felt like a chic garden lounge with the perfect mixture of lighting, music, and an environment for people to mingle openly with one another. Upon entering the lounge, a cute hostess greeted me with a smile on her face. Once I told her my name, she brought me to a set of reserved lounge chairs. I settled into my chair and pulled out my phone to let Alicia know I had arrived and that I was waiting on my date. A waiter promptly arrived to take my order and I couldn't help but order a gin and tonic to take the edge off slightly. The longer I waited for my date, the more on edge I felt so the drink was well needed.

I was early so it didn't bother me that I had to wait for Zane to arrive. About 15 minutes later, I sat sipping my drink and scrolling through my phone when I heard a deep voice call my name as a question. It sounded as if the person wasn't sure I was the right person they were looking for. Butterflies knotted my stomach as I took a moment to compose myself before I looked up at the guy calling my name. This was it? I was really about to do this thing!

I slowly lifted my gaze to meet the handsome dark chocolate of a man that Alicia had promised me when I agreed to do this. I felt like the whole world was moving in slow motion as my head slowly lifted and I glanced up to finally see the man Alicia had been talking so highly of. Except, when I looked up, I was confused when I didn't see my date. I took my time peering around the room, searching for who might've called my name but I still hadn't found any black guys close enough that would've called out to me. I scrunched my brows together as I brought my focus to some random white guy who stood in front of me and obscured my view. Maybe the guy who called out to me was behind this guy.

"Excuse me sir, I don't mean to be rude but can you please step aside? I'm waiting for someone and you're blocking my view." I said this while trying to keep my annoyance out of my voice. But the guy just stood there staring down at me with a raised brow.

That's when my name was repeated again, but this time, it came out of the white mans mouth.

"Are you Mia?" He asked with a knowing smirk on his face and my heart sank. Didn't Alicia say she had a sexy brown skinned man that she thought was perfect for me? She also said Zane was her cousin... the man I was looking at was bright white! I thought back to our conversations and realization dawned on me that she'd never once described my date as being black. In actuality, she was extremely vague when describing him. This was more on me making my own assumptions, especially since she said they were cousins. Obviously she also left out the part that they must've been related through marriage or some shit because it definitely wasn't by blood.

I adjusted my gaze on him to better take in his appearance and my breath hitched in my throat as our eyes latched onto one another. He was handsome as hell and actually had me speechless for a moment. I watched as his light blue eyes filled with merriment as he waited for a response from me but no words came out of my mouth. The guy began to wave his hand back and forth in order to grab my attention and that's when I finally realized that I'd been staring at him like a creep. Embarrassment crept into my cheeks and I thanked the heavens that I was dark skinned so that he couldn't pick up on the heat filling my face.