Chapter 13:Angst

Mia 💛

Tonight had been interesting to say the least so why not keep up the antics? Zane said he was taking me to his place and I knew it was like playing with fire yet, I didn't have much of an objection. I could say it's because of this thing or that thing but the reality of the situation was that I was feeling things that confused me and my curiosity won out over my senses.

I glanced in Zane's direction and rolled my eyes. Although I could admit this to myself, it would be over my dead body before I let Zane know any of my feelings.

"Do what you want Zane. You white people do what you want anyway so who am I to stop you." I felt compelled to purposefully taunt the man as my last act of rebellion before we got on the road. I heard Zane let out an exasperated breath as he glanced at me from the corner of his eyes.

"Jesus Christ woman, I feel bad for the next guy you date..." He was trying to throw jabs at me but his response was so weak. He would have to do much better than that in order to get a rise out of me. However, for Zane? I knew exactly what to say to piss the man off.

"Oh you mean, the next guy I date as in.... Jared?" I taunted him with a wide grin on my face because I knew whenever I brought up Jared, Zane got irritated. Plus, he'd just seen me texting the guy so that added insult to injury.

I highly doubted that Zane would admit this revelation out loud but I wasn't dumb. Anyone with two eyes could see it in Zane's body language and demeanor. And right now, the way he was responding was no different than how he's responded in the past.

I watched the way Zane automatically gripped the steering wheel out of anger without him even realizing it. Or the fact that his jawline always ticked with obvious irritation. The more I watched him, the more I grinned. Sure, he could head to his place instead of dropping me home but I wanted him to know that I wasn't going to make his life any easier. It was my defense against how I was feeling towards him.

After a few tense seconds, Zane cleared his throat to speak.

"Look at that smirk on your face. You're so damn confident aren't you? But my question is... where the hell is Jared right now?" He asked me while pausing to wait for my answer. But I had none.

Jared could've been anywhere right now and I had no ideas where to look for him unless I asked the man outright. I hated how pleased Zane looked with himself as he continued on with his point. "Why the silence? Is it because you don't have a clue? You're with me right now and Jared is nowhere to be found. That speaks volumes in my book." He raised a brow. I had nothing else to say to him so all I could do was roll my eyes, cross my arms stubbornly, and lean back into the seat.

Zane glanced over in my direction one final time during the ride home to make one last threat to me.

"And Mia?" I looked at him questioningly. "I advise you to shut the hell up for the rest of the night because you've already said enough and I'm this close..." Zane pinched both his index and thumb fingers together to emphasize his point. "...to disciplining you when we get to my place and I know you're not ready for all that. So again, I'm warning you to watch your mouth."

I didn't say anything else for the rest of the drive but I would be lying if I said his words didn't stimulate my mind into thinking all kinds of things that were not exactly appropriate. I bit my lip as I thought about how conflicted I felt with Zane. And of course, this was another one of those things that I would never admit to him or Alicia because they would probably take that information and twist it to mean what ever they wanted.