Chapter 38: Unraveled

Thank you for you're patience 🙏🏾

Mia 💛

I felt frozen in place as I watched Jared deliberately stomp towards us.

How was he going to react?
What was he going to say to me?
To Zane?

The seconds ticked by painfully slow as Jared approached us; his stiff face as cold as stone.

My eyes found his eyes and locked onto his green gaze while my stomach instantly twisted into knots and my blood pumped loudly through my ears.

Only a few moments ago, I'd been riding the waves of bliss after Zane fucked my mind into oblivion.

But now, that bliss had quickly warped into anxiety, causing extreme panic to set in.

Although the lounge was jam packed with people dancing, it felt empty as I focused all my attention on Jared, waiting for him to eventually approach us while I stood frozen in place.

A few deliberate steps later and Jared was standing a mere foot away from us; his usually green eyes were now dark and glaring directly into my soul.

I felt Zane reach out to me with the tips of his fingers but he soon dropped his hand as I reflexively shrugged away from him.

I didn't want to add insult to injury by having Zane clinging to me as Jared stood in front of us.

Zane stood right besides me and I could feel his entire demeanor stiffen at my rejection but he didn't comment on it.

I gave a silent prayer that Zane would stay calm and not make a big deal out of this while I handled this ordeal on my own.

I pushed thoughts of Zane to the back of my mind and, instead, I focused on the angry man standing in front of me.

For a few moments, Jared and I just stared stupidly at one another before I awkwardly cleared my throat to break the thin ice.

The problem was, I didn't have shit to say. I was so caught off guard by Jared's presence, my brain literally shut off.

So instead of actually thinking my next words threw, I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind; it was so cliche, I cringed inwardly as the words flowed from my mouth.

"Jared, I can explain! This isn't what it looks like...." I said, as I mindlessly stretched out my arm to grasp onto his arm.

Jared immediately pulled out of my reach; He looked thoroughly disgusted by me.

My eyes widened at his rejection.

I quickly tried to compose my thoughts and find the right words to explain myself.

At the same time, Zane still stood beside me.

I noticed as Zane shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other foot which caused me to wince inwardly as I thought about what I must sound like to both of these men.

"Listen, Jared." I reached out to Jared again. This time, my hand landing on his bicep.

I watched as Jared glanced down at my hand lightly touching his arm but he didn't pull away again, so I continued.

"I know what you might be thinking but we should go outside and talk about this in a more private setting." I stated with urgency in my voice.

The entire time I spoke, Jared never peeled his eyes off of my hand touching his skin. But now, he slowly glanced up with a devilish glint dancing in his eyes. Soon, a humorless, dry laugh followed.