Chapter 34: Anxiety

(Thank you for your patience. In all honesty, I've lost interest in writing this novel.  However, I think it would be a disservice to those who have gotten this far, to just STOP writing it without finishing.... sooo I've promised myself that I will finish this story. You may need to read the last chapter in order to remember what happened. I'm slowly trying to get back into writing again. Please Vote and Comment it keeps me motivated :))

Mia 💛

My heart froze in my chest.

I stood there trying to process what Zane just confessed.

Love?

I snorted. Zane had to have been mistaken.

Slowly, I felt the blood in my veins begin to start pulsing. The longer I stood there and absorbed what Zane said, the more my heart began to quicken...

I took a step back and really took Zane in. Was this a joke? But he wasn't smiling.

I gulped hard.

I was speechless.

I licked my lips and tried to think of something to say. Did I love him too? I shook the question out of my head. I didn't want to think about that.

"Hey, uh.."  I stuttered over my words as I tried to think of how to respond. "...I have to go..." I finally finished. Although I felt like I had so much more that I wanted to say, right now, my head was swimming with too much anxiety to be able to coherently put words together.

Without another thought, I turned around and attempted to run away. My emotions were all over the place and I didn't want to face whatever this was between me and Zane. However, before I could escape, I felt a strong grip holding my wrist, stopping me in my tracks.

My mind told me to pull away and just ignore his attempt at getting my attention. But despite my better judgment, I turned my head and peered down at Zane's large tanned hand gripping me loosely around my smaller wrist. The contrast between the two of us was impossible to miss. Never in my life would I ever think I would be in a situation were I was standing here, loosing my shit over a man that, not too long ago, I would never have even considered him romantically.

But was Zane really the enemy?

My mind flashed back to what he said to me via text messages and I naturally wanted to yank my hand away from this man. Yes, he was the enemy. I mean, come on....

Wasn't he in love with Harper not too long ago? What happened to that?

Plus, if anyone saw Harper and Zane together vs me and him together, I'm sure they would say that they looked more suited for each other than we do. The more I thought about the entire situation, the more my mind began to pull me down a dark line of thinking.

Finally, Zane cleared his throat; pulling me out of my toxic thoughts.

I glanced up at him and caught his blue eyes gazing down on me.

Zane's eyes shifted back and forth as he latched onto my deep brown gaze. He was so close, I could feel his body heat emanating from his skin.

His confession had my nerves skittering all over the place.

I wanted so badly to run away from all of these overwhelming emotions bubbling forth in my stomach. But, despite the flood of nerves coursing through my entire body and causing my anxiety to skyrocket, my feet stayed firmly planted on the ground as Zane stepped even closer into my personal space.

I gulped again as I spoke up, trying to give any excuse so that I could leave this uncomfortable situation. I didn't want to think about what he'd just confessed to me....