Chapter 17: Realization

Zane ♠️

(1 week later)

(1 week later)

It was Friday and class was finally over for the week but I was supposed to meet with Mia in the library so that we could start figuring out our school project. Since that awkward morning where Jared showed up at my house unannounced, Mia and I have kept to our agreement to maintain our boundaries like she wanted; we haven't brought up any other subjects outside of our school work.

But before I met with Mia, I was going to meet with Harper. Earlier during our class, she sent me a text and asked to speak with me after class. I agreed to meet with her but these days, Harper and I were like oil and water and I was at a point in my life where I felt like we had less in common than we used to. And at this same point, I was tired of pretending to be okay with how much we've drawn apart. Right now, I wanted to surround myself with people who I felt like I could relate to and lately, Harper's actions showed me that she wasn't that kind of person. I'd tried to make our friendship work but I realized that not everything was worth fighting for.

Professor Gordon let us out early and so, once we filed out of the classroom, Harper and I found an empty bench outside and sat down. Harper sighed heavily with a pensive look on her face as she looked down at her fidgeting hands and then back up at me. I watched her fidget for a few seconds before she finally began to speak.

"Hey Zane. You look good as always...I feel like it's been awhile since we've actually sat down and talked like old times." Harper looked so nervous while she played with a small piece of her hair. I wondered why she was fidgeting so much as I watched her. I looked down at my watch to see how much time I had before I needed to meet with Mia. Harper really needed to hurry this up.

"Yeah, I know... So, what's up Harp?" I asked, trying to rush her to the point.

"Um, well I've got some things I want to get off my chest." She paused way too long and I stared at her while blinking impatiently.

"Oh....kay?" I was still waiting.

"I'm sorry. I'm just nervous is all." She pasted a small smile onto her face and looked down shyly. I looked at my watch again as a very passive-aggressive way to show her that she needed to hurry up with this conversation.

"Uh, well first off, I want to say that I think you're a great guy Zane." She waited for my response but I remained quiet because I was still waiting for the real reason we were here.

"Secondly, I feel like you are greatly under appreciated. I feel like you need someone to show you that love and appreciation that you haven't gotten yet. " I sharpened my eyes on Harper as I listened to her. By now I could already see where this conversation was going and I didn't like it.

"Harper, I appreciate your concern for me but, I think I'm good." I said this matter-of-factly. I wanted no parts in this game with Harper. The woman had a boyfriend and yet, here she was, coming onto me. Even if I wanted to consider her, I couldn't trust her due to the HUGE fact that she had Corey. How would I know she wouldn't do the same thing to me?