Chapter 7: The Roommate

Mia 💛

It was Friday and the end of the first week of school. I was glad that I only had to make it through today and then it would finally be the weekend. It was 6:00 am and I was tired as hell but the smell of coffee and eggs being prepared permeated the apartment and it helped coax me out of bed.

I stretched briefly before I headed into the bathroom and commenced my morning routine. I took a nice hot shower, brushed my teeth, and washed my face to wake me all the way up.

Afterwards, I sifted through my dresser and found a decent outfit. I threw on a pair of black sweat pants and a white cropped shirt that said, "The Future is Female" on the front. The shirt was a statement that I was a feminist and I wasn't afraid to let people know. I paired the simple outfit with a pair of khaki sneakers before brushing my hair up into a quick afro puff.

Today I only had one class, but After my conversation with Alicia yesterday, I actually tried to look decent this morning. All I had to do was get through this two hour class and then I would be free for the weekend.

I sauntered over to my full length mirror and assessed the outfit that I had on

I sauntered over to my full length mirror and assessed the outfit that I had on. Alicia swore I had no style but if I were comparing my style to hers, it might seem that way. Alicia was a very flamboyant kind of woman who loved to dress flashy while I was the opposite of that and I preferred more comfortable clothes. My style was the more laid back one while she loved to dress with more pzazz and sex-a-peel.

I thought back to the conversation from yesterday when we both sat on the living room couch while watching the classic 90s movie Clueless. And our discussion turned to our own personal styles since Cher, the main character, was obsessed with looking stylish.

*Memory*

"How do you expect to grab a mans attention dressing the way that you do?" Alicia asked me seriously. "Do you see Cher? She looks so damn hot, any guy would want her."

"That's easy... through my brains and my natural beauty." I answered without any hesitation. Alicia rolled her eyes at me as she smirked.

"That's such a feminist thing to say." I raised an eyebrow at her trying to figure out what the issue was.

"And?" I questioned her.

"And....that's not what's going to initially attract a man that you don't know. Maybe if you know him...sure. But we both know you don't know any men except your brother Josh and of course, he doesn't count."

"Meh." I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly. This caused Alicia to rub her hand down her face with frustration. I resumed watching the movie while she just stared at me for a few seconds longer before shifting her attention back on the television.

"Anyway Mia... maybe none of this matters if you'd just tell me more about your date with Zane the other night... I think you're giving up a little too soon on the potential that I know is there." She stated confidently although she had no idea what she was talking about.