Chapter 3: Ethics I

I sat at my usual spot and the girl who usually comes earlier than me wasn't there. After what happened yesterday, I did not saw her for the whole day. The teachers didn't ask if she's present or where the hell she is. It's as if the school ignored her existence. If I was on her shoes that will surely hurt me and I don't know how can she still stay calm with all of this. Is she really a freak? but something within me tells there's more than what's in the surface. I can't forget the fact that we talked casually in the toilet and she just left like that.

I was brought back to reality when Jihyo suddenly slams her hand on the table. Everyone stopped talking and looked at her in confusion.

"Guys Ms. Kim texted me that she needs to take care of important matter today and she'll be away for the whole week. In return, she left us a group activity that needs to be performed next monday." She announced loudly. Yes, this girl is our class president. She walked towards the board and started writing the activity. I sighed looking at it. 

The subject is Philosophy and  we have to group ourselves into two. Choose a partner and pick a topic from the branches of philosophy. Hmm but before we think about the topic. Who should I partner with? Jihyo and Daniel will surely be partners.

"Hi Mina." Jimin suddenly turns to me with a shy smile. Uhm...

"Hello Jimin." I answered politely. He looked like he wanted to ask me something.

"Uhm can I-" Before she could finish her words, the door opened. The room instantly fell silent when they saw who just arrived. It was Chaeyoung in the usual hoodie. I don't know why but I suddenly felt relief when I saw her. She walked towards me since we are practically seatmates. 

"Let's talk later Mina." Jimin smiled and immediately left to his chair. Meanwhile, Chaeyoung silently sat on her side. The usual cold classmate of mine. I did not say hello or anything. I just watched her fished out her sketch pad and pencils. She does this every morning. Drawing something I don't  know what and sometimes she'll be sleeping or listening to her earphones. Why I know this? well maybe because I'm that observant? or maybe because she's just so intriguing. Surprisingly, I don't found it boring every time I watch her do her thing. 

I wonder how she looked like with a smile. I never saw her smiling to anyone. Well no one here would be worth smiling too if they treat you like shit. 

Wait, we have an activity to do. Did she have a classmate to partner with? I doubt that. Students barely look at her, much more to ask her to be partners. Should I ask her? But what if she ignores me? I was stopped with my thoughts when I noticed her hand. The hand that I wrapped with my handkerchief. It was already dressed properly with a bandage.

"Uhm Chaeyoung-ssi." I called at her. She didn't budge nor look at me. Ugh I'm being ignored. I decided to just speak my mind. 

"There will be a group project in our Philosophy class. Would you like to be partnered with me?" I asked softly but she's still ignoring me. Uhm I should stop here.

The time passed and the next teacher came in. Class was pretty boring. Specially, the history part. I would rather listen to my grandmother than to this teacher who sounded like he's going to fall asleep anytime. Finally, the bell for the lunch time rings.