Chapter 28

Chapter 28: "Leaders were born weak"

◾ Athena ◾

Everyone stood around my grandfather. Diego and Bianca were holding onto each other while Eric, Troian and I sat on the bed.

Nonno had been out for two hours. He  woke up a few minutes ago but was being tended to by his nurse.

"Padre you have to be more careful," Bianca ordered. Bianca was scary when she was being serious. It's like what ever said goes.

"I'm alright figlia," he waved her off. He seemed to be better as if nothing had ever happened.

I was confused. He almost died but he was alright again so quickly. I gave him a puzzled look and Diego took notice.

"He blacks out often," Diego stated as if it was normal.

"Can I have a moment with Athena please?" Nonno asked and everyone left.

"Why didn't you tell me you were sick?" I questioned.

"I was going to tell you Fiore but we were spending time together. I didn't want to make everything depressing," he professed.

"Is this why you reached out so late. Because you're sick?" I teared up again. I didn't know why I was crying so much. I've become so emotional lately.

"It's one of the reasons," he responded.

I raised an eyebrow and he sat up more seriously.

"I want to explain to u how the mafia works," he started, "If you are born first from the leader, you are the first heir to become leader afterwards. Your father was the heir of my mafia but when he left it, I needed someone else."

"Doesn't that make Diego the new leader after you then?" I queried.

"It would of but you were born, which now makes you the heir," he stated.

I looked at him bewildered.

I was the heir.

"I'm getting old. I have to retire soon. I got you back to lead my mafia Fiore," he added.

I was going to be a leader of a mafia. A fucking mafia! I had no idea how to lead a whole mafia of hundreds of people.

But Axel does. We could put the past behind us and we could form an alliance. We'd be able to lead together. Like Julia would say "Couple Goals or Power Couple".

"I have no idea how to lead a mafi Nonno," I sighed.

"I will be by your side. I'll teach you everything you need to know. You'll become the most feared woman in the world.. after Luna of course," he chuckled at the end and I smiled.

"You won't be able to come to dinner," I lied beside him while he held me in a side hug on the bed.

"You think I'm not coming just because I blacked out for a couple hours. I have to announce the returning of my beautiful granddaughter and tell them the news," he smirked. It was such an old man smirk that made you want to burst out laughing and I actually did.