Chapter 44

"Chris!" I called his name as soon as I reached the institute. My eyes were watery and I could feel myself sobbing immensely. When I walked in the office, I saw everyone looking at me from head to toe.

"Where is Chris?" I asked as my voice started to shake. In a second, I saw him standing a few centimetres away from me. He looked at me without any emotion on his face and didn't say anything at all.

Before I could walk towards him, I felt a hard clap against my cheek and I felt my right cheek right away.

"HOW DID YOU LEAVE US WHEN WE NEEDED YOU THE MOST?!" Charlotte screamed in my face. I looked at her with my widened eyes. I rested my right hand on my right cheek, hoping that it would relief some of it's pain.

"YOU KNEW SOMETHING LIKE THIS COULD HAPPEN? HOW THE FUCK DID YOU LEAVE US ALONE?!" She shouted out loud and pushed me with her both hands against my chest, almost making me fall over.

"I-I..." I stammered. I didn't even knew what I was supposed to say. I knew I was partly wrong but if I wasn't where I was today... We wouldn't have gotten the help we needed to get rid of Lucifer for once and for all.

"You are nothing but a half breed, Ella. No wonder your mother died in your embrace!" Charlotte said and each word she spoke, pierced right through my heart.

I looked at her as my tears unwillingly streamed down my cheeks. I sobbed softly as I remained looking at her. I just froze at my spot. Was she right? Was it because I was too weak or I wasn't whole? Alexis moved away Charlotte from me as she gave me those pitiful eyes.

"Ella... It's not your fault..." She spoke out quietly and I looked away from her as I slowly nodded my head. I wiped my tears quickly away before I looked at her again.

"I know..." I replied softly. I was lying to her and to myself. I felt responsible. I felt responsible for everything that was happening the Shadow world and it pains me that I can't do anything to stop it right now.

Everyone I cared for was constantly in danger and I couldn't save them. I couldn't be there at the same time. It was either helping to fight Lucifer off today or finding a way to stop him forever. I felt like I had done the right thing but Charlotte made sure to make me feel guilty about that too...

I understood her frustration, anger and pain. Samuel was her cousin. Her family but that didn't mean that he meant nothing to me. He was my friend too... The very first friend I had ever made since I became a part of this world. Somehow, he always believed in me and he was always there for me. I couldn't live without him myself.

Not to mention, Alec... My father. A other parent I gained. The father that was always there for me even when my own related father wasn't. The one that loved me like I was his own flesh and blood. I let him down too. I felt the tears forming in my eyes again and I exhaled sharply.

"When did this happen? Did Lucifer say something?" I asked and I saw Chris's eyes snapping at me. I couldn't help but to feel a bit terrified of what his reaction was going to be.

Both Charlotte and Chris never hesitated to show how they actually felt. Charlotte and I never got along in the first place and now she will hate me for sure... Forever. Chris and I finally started something... Whatever it was. It was something good but I have ruined that now too. There was no way he would forgive me for leaving them for this mission..

"It happened while you were in Edom." Chris quietly said without any emotion in his voice. I couldn't tell whether he was too mad at me or whether he was too upset to show how he truly felt. It was hard for me to recognise it. It was Chris after all...

"I know bu-" "Then why are you fucking asking?! Do you think Lucifer wanted to have some sort of tea party with Alec and Samuel?!" Chris shouted out loud, suddenly raising his voice at me which made me flinch slightly.

I focused my gaze again on the floor. I didn't dare to look up to see what he was going to say to me. I didn't wanted to see his angry expression. Not again. It terrified me even more than Lucifer did and I had no idea why. I had no idea why Chris had such a big impact on my life or feelings.

"Chris. Stop it. Stop blaming her for something that isn't in her control!" Alexis shouted now. I had never heard Alexis raise her voice at anyone. Even Chris was surprised by her angry out burst.

"Both you and Charlotte are acting so selfish. Do you really think that Ella doesn't care? She went Edom to find a way to stop him. She didn't go there to have a family dinner." Alexis spoke out sternly. I could feel her looking at me.

"Please... Tell me Asmodues is going to help us..." Alexis now said more softer and held my hands which made me look at her. I could see how desperate she was. It was written all over her face. I smiled weakly before slowly nodding my head.

"H-He will help." I stammered and Alexis sighed in relief before hugging me tightly. I breathed out loudly, feeling my chest becoming a bit lighter and I couldn't help myself but to cry softly in Alexis arms.

"I will make sure this will come to an end." I sobbed softly and I felt Alexis nodding her head.

"No matter what it takes... I promise. I will." I continued and she pulled out of the hug. She looked me deeply in my eyes and wiped my tears away.

"You are not alone. I will be here. No matter what it takes..." She said softly which made me smile. I could see Charlotte looking at us and even Chris. I didn't know what I was supposed to say to them. Should I apologise?

What should I do?

With those thoughts, I turned myself around, finding my devastated and stressed father. His eyes were puffy and red from the crying. I couldn't imagine how he must have been feeling.

Alec was his soulmate.

________________________________

Hello everyone!
Sorry I have been trying to write as much as I can but I am working now, kinda full time hahaha so it's hard to keep on writing a lot but I am still trying to upload at least once a week! Also hope that u like this because I was writing this during my break hahaha!