Chapter nine

Ethan started to train Melodi at night. They were outside, three in the morning, Melodi plopped onto the grass and looked up to Ethan.

"Do the thing." Ethan shook his head. "No, you k ow what that thing does to me." Melodi gave Ethan her best(and practiced) puppy dog look.

Ethan felt his heart melt. He sighed nodded. Melodi smiled. He positioned himself in front of her. He moved his fingers, slowly, gently, as if try to catch a butterfly.

The lights that moved and followed his hands entranced Melodi. She loved this trick, she loved the lights. But most of all.....

She loved Ethan.

She didn't know which love it was.

But, it was love.

And it was getting bigger.

As he stopped, she got up and hugged him. "Thanks." He hugged her back. as they pulled away from each other, Melodi saw a shadow in the woods.

The shadow disappeared. Melodi mind-linked Ethan. He started to guide her to the door. "Go inside and stay there, I will be right behind you."

Melodi tried to looked back at Ethan, but he pushed her forward, and even though she didn't like to admit it.....Ethan was stronger than her.

"What? No, I want to stay with you." She grabbed the door knob and turned around. Ethan grabbed her face and made her look into his eyes.

"If anything happens, anything at all, call Caleb." Melodi was shocked and confused.

"Caleb? I thought you two still hated each other." Ethan shook his head and looked into her eyes. "We talked it out." Melodi still didn't move.

It wasn't until the breaking and crunching of a leaves bringing this moment to life did Melodi realize her true fear.

Loosing Ethan. She was afraid of loosing the one thing that has understood her, protected her, and treated her like an individual, he was more than just the person she has know since that night in the park.

He was the boy that watched her grow, that was there when she needed him. He was everything.

A tear streamed down her face. 'No, stop crying Mel, he will be fine.' Oasis said.

"Ethan, make it back to me do you understand? I have lost so much already, I do not need to loose anything else that is important."

Ethan put his lips into a tight line and nodded. They let go at the same time and in one swift movement, Melodi walked into the house and Ethan walked into the woods.

5:00

Melodi started pacing in the kitchen. He should have been back by now. 'Unless the fool got lost in the woods.'

Melodi rolled her eyes at her wolfs comment. She walked back to the window and saw a shadow.

No.

It wasn't a shadow.

It was Ethan.

Melodi ran outside and grabbed him. "Are you okay? What was it?" Ethan looked down to Melodi. "It wasn't an 'it' M." He walked up the steps.

Melodi resided an eyebrow, she followed him up the steps to the kitchen. Ethan locked the doors and started to walk out into one of the halls.

The night was silent. The house was silent, but it wasn't a safe normal silence.

It was eerie.

She grabbed Ethan's hands and dragged him to his room. She closed the door and locked it.