24

"Miles has been in a fight at school." Harry informed his husband as soon as they came inside.

Louis looked at his ten-year-old. Miles stared back with a defiant pout.
"Why?"

Miles refused to answer and the girls came running inside. They had turned seven. Johannah was a firecracker. She always pulled pranks and got her sister with her. Isobel was a philosopher. She was a lot calmer and quieter than her sister. Despite their differences, they were really close and stuck together.
"Hi, dad!" Johannah smiled.

"Hi Jo, Iz. Did you have a good day in school?" Louis asked and gave them both a hug.

"Yes." Isobel answered with a dreamy smile.

"Yeah, the best part of it was when Miles punched that stupid kid Barry." Johannah grinned.

"Shut up Jo!" Miles growled.

"What? He deserved it!" Jo shouted back.

"Stop fighting! Girl, can you go to your room for a while? We need to talk to Miles alone." Harry said.

Johannah stuck out her tongue to her brother and Isobel dragged her with her. When the girls had left the kitchen they sat down at the table.
"What happened, sweetie?" Harry asked softly.

Miles was twisting uncomfortably in his seat.
"Barry said some bad stuff so I punched him." He mumbled.

"What did he say?" Harry questioned.

Miles sighed and refused to make eye contact.
"He said that we're not a real family, that you can't have two dads because that's wrong."

"I'm glad you punched that little bastard!" Louis snorted.

"Louis!" Harry protested before he turned to their son. "I understand that you got upset but violence is never the answer."

"I don't know about that." Louis mumbled under his breath and Harry gave him a reproachful look.

Louis sighed.
"Papa is right. There will always be ignorant people out there that don't understand better. Try to not let it get to you. I'm proud of you for sticking up for your family but if it happens again, tell an adult and tell us."

"And just remember that there's nothing wrong with our family. Some families have a mum and a dad, some have two mums or dads and some families only have one parent." Harry chipped in.

"Barry only has his mum." Miles said.

"Maybe he misses his dad and takes it out on you because you have two. You never know what's going on with people. Just try and treat everyone with kindness." Harry answered.

"And use your words instead of your fists." Louis said.

"Okay, I'll try." Miles promised.

"We love you, sweetheart." Harry smiled.

"So much." Louis added.

"I know. I love you too." Miles answered and he smiled for the first time since Harry picked him up from school.

They hugged him at the same time.
"Go do your homework now. Dinner's in an hour." Harry said.

As soon as Miles had left the kitchen Harry turned to Louis, looking upset.
"What are we gonna do?"

"Hopefully it's a one-time thing. Let's wait and see. If it happens again we'll contact the school and Barry's mum." Louis answered and wrapped his arms around Harry's waist.

Harry leaned his head against Louis's shoulder.
"I can't bear the thought of Miles getting bullied because we're gay. I'm not gonna stand it."

"Me neither. I understand that this is extra sensitive for you, considering your tormentor in high school." Louis said softly.