30

"Congratulations papa! 80 years old!" Johannah said and hugged her father.

"He doesn't look a day over fifty." Louis immediately said.

The family was gathered in the house to celebrate Harry. They still lived in the house they bought ages ago even if their children were worried about them and wanted them to move to an apartment.

They had a lovely dinner before they were all seated in the living room for a surprise.
"As you know, Ryan started film school last spring and he has made something for you." Johannah smiled. She had settled down at last and had a boy.

Ryan got up and put a disc in the player. Louis and Harry turned their eyes toward the tv and they both gasped when a film started to play and showed the two of them as young men. They watched in wonder. The movie was a compilation of pictures and films from their life together. Pictures from College that Niall must have provided, the proposal and wedding and so much more. A lifetime together. Harry started to cry a minute into the movie and Louis held his hand.

They were both speechless when the movie ended. Louis had cried as well.
"Thank you, Ryan! What a gift. How have you been able to find all those pictures?" Harry asked.

"You took most of them, grandpa." Ryan smiled.

"You always had a camera with you when we were growing up." Isobel smiled.

"Yeah, but they're in that cabinet over there." Harry said and pointed.

"Well, I might have borrowed them." Johannah winked.

"It was beautiful. Good job Ryan!" Louis smiled.

"You two are beautiful. I feel so fortunate to have grown up in a home where there has been so much love present. Love between the two of you and love for us. We had a wonderful childhood and we love you so much." Miles said emotionally.

"Best parents ever!" Johannah smiled and Isobel nodded her head.

"And grandparents!" Mary said and everyone cheered.

"Oh God, I'm gonna cry again!" Harry wailed and nuzzled his head against Louis' shoulder, which made everyone laugh.

When they went to bed later that night Louis pecked Harry's lips.
"So birthday boy, how about some birthday sex?" He said with a grin.

"Ooh, yes! Just take it easy. Your hip is weak." Harry said.

"Weak? I think I'll manage." Louis chuckled.

"I'm just looking after you." Harry smiled.

"And I love you for it. Shut up and kiss me now." Louis answered and Harry giggled.

Afterward, Harry rested his head on Louis' shoulder.
"That was awesome."

"Yep, we still got it!" Louis smirked.

"I love you. Good night." Harry said and gave him a good night kiss before he turned to the side so Louis could spoon him.

"I love you more. Good night." Louis answered and nuzzled his nose in the back of Harry's neck and they fell asleep.

Louis woke up two hours later with the feeling that something was wrong.
He looked at Harry. He was laying still, which was odd. He usually twisted in bed quite a lot. That was when he realized that Harry wasn't breathing. He whimpered and sat up in bed and turned Harry to his back and checked his pulse. It wasn't there. He put his ear against his chest to see if he was breathing but he wasn't.

When reality finally hit him he started to sob uncontrollably and hugged his body.
"Noooooo! You promised! We were gonna die together! You can't leave me! I love you! Please, baby. Come back to me. Please!"

He cried over Harry's body until he felt that he was getting cold. He sat up and looked around the room without really seeing. What was he supposed to do now? The thought of continuing life without Harry by his side was unthinkable. He couldn't live without him. He didn't want to live without him. He wouldn't live without him.

He got up from the bed and turned the lights on. He looked over at Harry. It looked like he was sleeping. He looked peaceful. He couldn't stop crying. He went over to their wardrobe and picked out their wedding suits.

He dressed Harry before he put his own suit on as well. Then he sat down by the desk and started to write a letter. He taped it to the outside of their bedroom door before he went into the bathroom and found a bottle of sleeping pills. He filled a glass of water and went back to bed.

He laid down next to Harry. He caressed his cheek and gave him one last kiss before he swallowed the whole bottle of pills and laid down on Harry's chest with an arm around his torso.

He was getting dizzy and tired so he closed his eyes and fell asleep. There was a bright light and then he started to dream.

He was in Paris. Harry was waiting outside their favorite café with a dimpled smile. He was young.  He ran up and hugged him.
"Harry." He breathed out.

"What are you doing here so soon? What did you do Lou?" Harry asked.

"I couldn't go on without you." Louis answered.

"But the kids?" Harry answered.

"Will mourn but we were old men Hazza. We lived a lifetime. They will be okay. I wrote them a letter." Louis said.

"I love you." Harry said.

"I love you more." Louis breathed out.

Johannah went to check on her parents the next day. They all took turns visiting them every day to see that they were okay. The house was quiet when she stepped inside. That was strange. Harry was a morning person and he usually had a pot of coffee waiting for them along with a  hug and a smile.

She walked upstairs. Their bedroom door was closed but there was a letter taped to it. She opened it and started to read and let out a gasp. She stopped reading and called her siblings instead.

They all sat down at the kitchen table. "They're dead, both of them?" Miles asked.

"Dad wrote a letter. I just read the first part. I thought we should do it together. You read it Iz. I'm gonna bawl my eyes out." Johannah said and handed Isobel the letter.

Isobel opened the letter and started to read. She teared up immediately but held it together.

Dear Miles, Johannah, and Isobel

Papa died last night in his sleep. He felt no pain, he just drifted off. I'm a mess. I love you all so much but I don't wanna live without Harry. I hope you can forgive me. I'm an old man. I would have died soon anyway, but I would have spent my last years in so much pain and grief because papa isn't here anymore.

I don't want to go on without him, despite how much I love you all. I hope you can understand my decision. I know I'm being selfish but Harry is my home.

The three of you are our biggest achievements in our lives and we love you all so much and we are so proud of you. Live your lives to the fullest! Be there for each other and remember us with love. Take care of all our wonderful grandchildren and support them through everything.

Harry and I had a wonderful life and I know I'll see him again soon. No regrets.

Love, Dad.

The End