☾hapter XXVII

Third person POV :

After the mission had taken a devastating turn, Gunther and Levi found themselves walking with the man who had abducted the doubles of Anelise, Eren, and Historia. Meanwhile, Mikasa and the rest of the team remained vigilant near the gate. Armin, on the other hand, grappled with the harsh reality that he had taken a life.

Amidst the turmoil that gripped their squad, Gunther and Levi had taken Dimo Reeves to the top of the wall, leaving him perched on its edge.

" Why have you brought me all the way up here ?". Dimo questioned, his voice edged with uncertainty.

Levi leaned in slightly, his piercing gaze fixed on Dimo," Do you recognize this place, boss ?".

Dimo hesitated for a moment, his eyes scanning the surroundings," This is my town—Trost's outer gate. Well, it used to be. It marked humanity's southern frontier, the border between worlds. A place filled with fear, yet it brought prosperity... it was a good town".

Levi's tone remained measured as he spoke," We call it something else. It's where humanity first triumphed over the Titans, but it also highlights our vulnerability. We needed a Titan's strength to seal a hole created by a Titan. 

We tried everything, but ultimately, humans couldn't match up. It wasn't just the Titans; it cost the lives of countless soldiers and a series of miraculous events to keep this town barely standing".

Dimo scoffed, his frustration palpable," So, you've brought me here to give me a lecture ? Soldier, have some mercy on an old man trying to keep his balance up here".

Gunther shot an irritated look at the Captain, clearly impatient with the conversation when their priority should be devising a plan to rescue Eren, Anelise, and Historia. Nonetheless, he continued to observe, trusting in Levi's judgment.

Levi shifted his focus back to Dimo," You're right. Let's forget that. I hate watching an old man being reprimanded. Tell me, what was the deal you struck with the Interior MPs ?".

Dimo chuckled, his tone bitter," Deal ? There was no deal. We simply followed the orders handed down to us. The goal was to comply with those orders and prevent a total loss. But the night raid failed, and so did the kidnapping. 

Now, the Royal Government is set to seize everything owned by the Reeves Company, on whatever charges they conjure. My employees and their families will be cast into the streets. Some of my subordinates and I will likely meet with 'accidents' to ensure our silence. 

But here's some news for you, soldier: those Interior fools are utterly incompetent. You folks face Titans head-on; how could a bunch of low-level thugs like us ever pose a threat ? They're morons. I mean, that girl singlehandedly took us down ! It's ludicrous !".

Levi's expression remained impassive as he absorbed Dimo's words. It was often difficult to discern the Captain's thoughts.

" What's your point, soldier ? A useful tip, isn't it ?". Dimo added.

" Yes, it appears we're up against fools. I get that much. But why let these fools eliminate you, boss ?". Levi responded.

Dimo shrugged, his determination unwavering," They may be foolish, but they are the rulers of our world. Those creatures that kill and consume you people don't even wear clothes, right ?".

Levi nodded," True. We can kill Titans as well. It's not so different. If you're facing certain death, why not fight back ? What have you got to lose ?".

Dimo remained resolute," No, if I fail, more of my men will die".

Levi's eyes narrowed as he spoke with conviction," Don't worry; that's inevitable either way".