☾hapter LXXXI

Anelise's POV :

As the sun dipped below the horizon, a sense of urgency filled the air. Connie had already set off towards Ragako with Falco. And it's not that Connie's mother isn't important, far from it. But nobody wants to sacrifice a child...

" Armin, wait. You can't go alone like that". I told him firmly.

Mikasa nodded in agreement," That's right. Besides, you'll never catch up to Connie if you set off for Ragako now. And even if you did, then what ? Will you tell him... to give up on turning his mom back into a human ? Really ?".

Armin's eyes hardened with determination as he replied," I will. Even if it doesn't work out... I need to do everything I possibly can. Gabi won't trust me unless she sees my actions. We need her. Reiner and the Cart Titan are still hiding somewhere. She could be the key to placating them".

He paused, his voice laden with weariness," It's not as if the issue of inheriting the Nine Titans is going away... In the worst case... We'd have to repeat the last 2,000 years of conflict surrounding their power on this tiny island. If I'm being honest with you two, I'm so tired I could hop into bed and sleep for about two days straight".

Armin's gaze shifted, reflecting the weight of the world on his shoulders. 

" Humanity's history is becoming a whole lot narrower, cozier even. If I don't do all I can now... There'll be a massive impact on humanity's quaint little future ! I'll tell Connie ! That maybe his mom should stay an upside-down Titan !".

Feeling the weight of his burden, I offered some assistance," Hey, at least take Erwin and Hannes with you. They'll help you with it".

" That's what I intended to do. I'm going now". Armin stated, standing up resolutely.

Mikasa, ever loyal, asked," Armin... What should Izzy and I do ?".

" Help Jean out... Just think for yourself for...". Armin's voice trailed off.

I cut him off sharply," Armin ! Quiet".

" And what about Eren ?". Mikasa asked, her voice trembling with worry.

I think we both want to save Eren... And I think Mikasa is being more and more torn apart because the last member of her family is doing all this.

" I don't know ! Besides, what could we do, anyway ?! Hange, Kenny, Eld, Gunther, and the Captain could be dead right now ! Floch and his men might start pointing their guns at us! And Annie might be back in action ! 

The military's chain of command is broken ! It's chaos ! That's right... Even Historia could be in danger... The volunteers, the Azumabito, and Niccolo are going to be in danger too... So listen ! We're in no place to think about Eren ! He's a lost cause ! You get that, don't you ?!". Armin's frustration boiled over.

" Shut up, Armin !". I shouted, unable to bear seeing Mikasa in such distress.

Armin's eyes widened, and he looked at the expression on Mikasa's face—full of sadness and disappointment. Realizing his mistake, he took a step back, chastened.

" Panic will get us nowhere. Get your head out off your ass on this one. You must think rationally. What's more, the way you've just spoken to Mikasa is unacceptable. Get out now; you have things to do, and we have too". I asserted firmly.

Armin looked down for a moment, then looked up with a slight smile," You're right, Izzy... And I shouldn't have snapped at you like that, Mikasa... The only answer I'm sure about is that... I wasn't the one who should've inherited the Colossal Titan power and come back".

" Again with that ? You were the one who inherited it because you had the abilities. Don't doubt yourself, Arly Blue. You are one of the most capable people I know. You're clever and, above all, most of the plans you've made have got us this far". I reassured him, patting his shoulder.