☾hapter XLII

After a few heart-pounding seconds, an eerie silence enveloped the scene. I nervously approached the edge of the wall, my eyes fixed on the gaping hole. To my immense relief, Eren had indeed managed to seal the breach. 

A sigh escaped my lips as a wave of tension washed away. Mikasa hurried over to assist Eren in exiting his Titan form. As soon as they both stood safely on the wall, I approached them.

" Are you alright, Eren ?". I asked, my concern palpable.

" Everything's fine, Izzy". He replied, his breath still heavy from the exertion.

Nonetheless, I could tell that this ordeal had taken a toll on him.

I rose to my feet and gently placed my hand on his head. 

" Well done". I commended him.

A warm smile tugged at his lips, and we both turned our attention to Hange, who was beginning to speak.

" Any enemies ?". Hange inquired, scanning the soldiers around.

" None visible !". Gunther reported.

" Keep your eyes open ! What about the hole ?". Hange pressed.

" It worked ! It's sealed tight !". A soldier exclaimed, firing a green flare into the air.

Despite the apparent success, an uneasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. This tranquility felt like the calm before the storm, and I couldn't shake the sense of impending danger.

" We did it... What about your Maneuvering equipment ?". Hange directed their question at Eren.

" It's fine, but it did take my cloak with it". Eren replied, his tone still somewhat breathless.

Mikasa promptly removed her cloak and handed it to Eren, who gratefully draped it over himself.

" Thanks". He muttered softly.

Hange's concern was evident as they probed further," You okay ?".

" I'm fine. We can keep going, just like we practiced !". Eren declared, his determination shining through.

" Then we're heading to the inner gate! Keep your faces hidden so you're not attacked as you move !". Hange ordered.

We began our sprint toward the yet-to-be-closed gate. The situation felt unnervingly smooth, and I scanned the surroundings, searching for any signs of danger.

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted when I heard Eren's voice beside me.

" Did I really close the hole ?". He muttered, his disbelief apparent.

" I told you that you could do it". I reassured him, offering a warm smile.

Mikasa nodded in agreement," You did. You can trust yourself".

A hint of doubt crept into Eren's expression," That easily ? The hole from that day...".

I understood his hesitation all too well. The enormity of what we faced didn't make this accomplishment feel any less miraculous.

" Not yet. As long as they are alive, they'll keep breaking through that wall. Understand that ? Until we kill all of our enemies, including Reiner and Bertholdt, the plan to retake Wall Maria isn't over". Levi declared with a grim countenance.

" Of course... I know that". Eren affirmed, his resolve unwavering.

Reiner and Bertholdt—between us, there was a complex mixture of emotions. Hatred wasn't the only sentiment; it was the conviction to fight for our beliefs. While their goals diverged from ours, their upbringing had instilled a different set of ideals.