☾hapter LIV

It was the next day following the shocking revelation made to the citizens, as detailed in Grisha's books. The city still buzzed with fervent discussion, some in awe, others in panicked conversations echoing through the streets.

Levi and Hange had extended an invitation for me to accompany them to meet with the journalists from Stohess. Upon our arrival, Peaure nearly sprinted toward me, a warm reunion after some time apart. We exchanged pleasantries for a brief moment before Levi interjected, steering the conversation towards the impending meeting.

The room fell into silence as Roy, the host, served us a steaming pot of tea. Levi leaned casually against the wall, gazing out the window, keeping a watchful eye on the bustling world beyond.

" Those Titans, the looming menace to humanity," Peaure began, his voice tinged with unease," are, in fact, humans. They belong to the 'Subjects of Ymir,' a race sharing a common ancestry with us. 

Our King erected these colossal walls a century ago and then wielded the Titans' power to manipulate the collective memory, convincing everyone that humanity had vanished beyond these very walls".

" But humanity never truly vanished," he continued," They dub us the 'Subjects of Ymir,' labeling us as 'a race of devils'".

A somber atmosphere settled over the room, each of us processing the gravity of Peaure's words. Levi, who had been observing the outside world since our arrival, moved to take a seat beside me.

" Our enemies are preparing for an invasion of our land, citing the acquisition of our resources as their pretext

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

" Our enemies are preparing for an invasion of our land, citing the acquisition of our resources as their pretext. The attacks that commenced five years ago, led by the Colossal Titan, were merely the beginning of this grand scheme," Peaure revealed, the weight of his words hanging heavily in the room." The article is already in circulation, but... can you vouch for its authenticity ?". He inquired, directing his question towards Hange.

" At the very least, it aligns with the questions and doubts that have plagued us for so long. I wish it weren't true, but I can't ignore the evidence. So, what is the town's response ?". Hange asked, their voice filled with concern.

" It's hard to gauge. Some have accepted it without much resistance, while others dismiss it with a laugh. There are those who still oppose the military's rule and are concocting conspiracy theories. The people are in a state of confusion, just as you had anticipated". Roy replied, his eyes reflecting the turmoil within the city.

Kenny had shared a similar sentiment during his earlier conversation.

" Yes, but it was inevitable. Our duty is to observe and report, leaving the decision in the hands of the taxpayers. In that regard, we've made some progress". Hange remarked after sipping their tea.

" I'm immensely proud of all of you, as someone who shares the same walls and works alongside you". Roy complimented us, his words offering a sense of camaraderie.