☾hapter XXXIII

Third person POV :

Squad Levi, accompanied by Hange and Moblit, had just arrived in the Chapel.

" Here it is... The secret door. Anelise, Eren, and our enemies must be on the other side. I just hope the layout is close to what I predicted". Hange said while lifting a rug.

" I hope the detour for those little presents pays off". muttered Levi.

Armin, working on the gas behind Hange and Levi, looked towards them," Alright, preparations complete !".

" I see... Alright, is everyone ready to get your hands dirty ?". Levi asked Armin and the others, who were surveying the area for any intruders.

No one answered; some looked scared and nervous, while Mikasa appeared more determined than ever.

" It looks like you are". Levi took this silence as a yes.

In the crystal hall, before the room where Eren, Anelise, and Historia were locked up, several of Kenny's soldiers were waiting on pillars, surveying in case enemies would come to attack them.

" There are at least seven of them, and, of course, one of them is Levi. First, we lure them inside. I would prefer to surround them, then shower them with concentrated fire. But, as you know, our enemies are highly skilled at Vertical Maneuvering. 

The battle is likely to become a melee. So long as the enemy doesn't know our positions or numbers, they won't be able to do anything extreme... Or so I'd like to think. But, as you know, the last time we encountered Levi, he fell into an ambush and still left 12 of our comrades dead. 

Furthermore, both the Interior Brigade and the royal government have been pacified... We're in a tough spot. In this very small world... Death would be preferable to what awaits us if we surrender". One soldier from the Anti-Personnel Control Squad, named Caven, explained.

Most of the soldiers remained silent when they heard her explanation, which made many others even more nervous.

" Still... Is that any different from the extent of life inside the walls ? We face an unstoppable threat, the Titans. There's no telling when they'll breach the walls and come to destroy us. Why did we all choose the Military Police Brigade and join Kenny in the Interior Squad ? 

Because, in this meaningless world and our meaningless lives... We hoped to find some meaning. Why not keep believing that to the end ? Believe that if we hold our enemies here and buy some time, it will all pay off. 

Believe in Kenny's dream that we can grab the world by its roots and flip it upside down". Caven added with determination.

But she was interrupted in her monologue by a blow at the door and noises on the stairs.

" They're coming... First, we need to lure them as far inside as we can". Caven thought, gritting her teeth.

The soldiers were surprised to see what looked like barrels from where they were standing. Several were thrown down the stairs before landing on the ground.

Caven's eyes widened," What are those ?! Gas canisters tied to barrels... What are they trying to do ?".

No sooner did she think that than the barrels started to release gas.

Levi and Mikasa took the opportunity to enter the room and ran down the stairs at full speed. Sasha, not far from them, shot a flaming arrow.

" Flaming arrows ?!". Caven thought in disbelief.

The arrow that Sasha fired landed in one of the barrels, causing it to explode as Kenny's soldiers looked on in disbelief.

" Gunpowder ! And judging from the way those fires are burning... They've scattered bags full of oil... This is bad... In this thick smoke, we'll never see them coming". Caven said.