☾hapter XXXIV

There was a moment of tense silence that hung heavily in the room. Rod's face had turned an ashen shade of white, a visible sign that everything he had meticulously planned was slipping away from his grasp.

In a panic, Rod turned to Historia, his grip on the syringe tightening as he firmly grasped her shoulders. I instinctively tried to step forward to help her, but Kenny's firm hand on my shoulder halted me, and he shook his head.

I understood then. Kenny wanted Historia to make this decision on her own, without any further interference. The responsibility now rested solely on her shoulders, and the stakes were higher than ever.

" Historia ! Don't worry. This injection will transform you into a powerful Titan. I've chosen a Titan form best suited for combat. You might lose control once you transform, but there's still hope. 

Eren is still within those restraints. Hurry! But when I say 'eat him,' it's not quite that simple. You just need to bite through his spine and ingest his spinal fluid". Rod ordered.

I couldn't help but make a disgusted face at his explanation, while Historia appeared panicked.

Kenny gently patted my head before preparing to make his exit.

" Well, I'd better step back". Kenny remarked before leaving.

However, neither Rod nor Historia paid any heed to Kenny's departure. Historia held the syringe in her trembling hand, contemplating her next move.

Historia, please make the right choice. I silently prayed.

" Hurry, Historia !". Rod urged impatiently.

" Shut up ! Your shouting is exasperating". I snapped at Rod.

Historia seemed torn, but her hesitation was interrupted when she noticed that Eren was not resisting. Everything he had witnessed must have taken an emotional toll on him.

" Why, Eren ? Why won't you transform into a Titan ? If I become a Titan, you'll just be devoured. Can't you do something ?". Historia's voice trembled with uncertainty.

Eren remained silent for a moment before looking up, tears in his eyes. Historia was taken aback by his unexpected reaction.

Eren, hold on ! I desperately wanted to intervene, but as Kenny had made clear to me, this was Historia's decision to make. I gritted my teeth and watched in silence.

" Do it, Historia !". Rod's impatience was palpable.

" It never had to be this way". Eren muttered sorrowfully, his voice heavy with regret.

Historia furrowed her brow, seeking clarification," What do you mean ?".

Eren's voice cracked with emotion as he continued," My father... If he hadn't done what he did five years ago, your sister could have handled everything. But because my father and I stole the power of the Titans from its rightful place, countless lives were lost. 

Joffrey Pierce, Rose Pierce, Armin's grandfather, Thomas, Mina, Mylius, Nac, Marco, Petra, Oluo, the residents of Stohess District, the soldiers who tried to rescue me, and so many more whose names I don't even know. 

I can never atone for all of that. It never had to be this way. All those days we spent training, all those dreams of what lay beyond the walls—it never had to happen. Please, Historia, at the very least, I want you to end it all for me. Eat me and save humanity. The choice is yours now". Eren's tears flowed freely.

I couldn't hold back any longer. My anger flared up, despite my earlier decision to remain silent," Eren !".

I shouted, my voice filled with rage. Never had I felt so infuriated. Hearing the names of my parents, Mina, Marco, Petra, Oluo, and the others... those were names you should never utter, especially not in front of me.