☾hapter LI

We all climbed back up the wall, and Kenny and Eld took charge of carrying Erwin. For the next few minutes, we waited anxiously for Armin to regain consciousness, which we anticipated would happen any moment. Eren and I remained by the side of the wounded while the others ventured off in search of survivors.

" Bertholdt". I heard a faint whisper.

My heart warmed as I noticed Armin was finally awake. I stood up and walked over to him, a relieved smile on my face.

" Hey, Arly". I said gently, reaching out to stroke his head.

" Izzy ? What...". Armin's voice trailed off, confusion clouding his expression as he glanced around.

I couldn't help but share in his uncertainty, and our attention shifted to Gunther and Sasha, who remained unconscious.

" It hurts". Sasha groaned in her sleep, her pain evident even in her slumber.

" Sasha, Gunther ?! These are grave injuries ! How did you... What happened, Commander ?!". Armin exclaimed, his voice tinged with concern.

Armin's anxiety started to escalate as he noticed the Commander's unmoving form. We knew we would have to provide an explanation for the events that had transpired, and it certainly wouldn't be an easy task.

But suddenly, a noise drew our attention away. Armin and I turned around simultaneously, our hearts pounding, as the sound of approaching footsteps echoed through the air.

 Armin and I turned around simultaneously, our hearts pounding, as the sound of approaching footsteps echoed through the air

When we saw who it was, it was Eren who wore a relieved expression on his face. 

Armin's eyes widened as he stammered," Eren... What's...".

Armin seemed taken aback as Eren embraced him tightly. I exchanged a puzzled glance with Armin but managed to offer him a faint smile.

" Welcome back". Eren said, tears streaming down his face.

Levi arrived at the top of the wall, breaking the momentary silence," So, he's up".

" Captain, what's going on ? I don't remember any of this happening". Armin questioned, his confusion deepening.

" Doubt you would". Levi responded, crossing his arms, leaving Armin even more bewildered. Eren's silence added to the tension.

After a brief pause, Levi fired a flare into the sky.

" Eren, tell him. And don't hold anything back". Levi demanded.

Eren glanced at me for support, and I started to approach, but Levi halted me with a gesture. 

" Do it alone". He added, a stern tone in his voice.

I conceded. Levi was right; Eren might be better at explaining the situation, given his involvement in the confrontation with Levi.

I moved closer to Sasha and Gunther as Jean and the others joined us on the wall. Eren eventually broke the silence and recounted everything to Armin: how they defeated Bertholdt, Erwin's grave injury, the uncertainty of his awakening, and the difficult choice Levi faced between Erwin and Armin.