☾hapter LXXII

Third person POV : 

As chaos broke out in the town, Levi had just learned of the unfolding events. He stood there, his disbelief palpable, as he absorbed the shocking news, feeling utterly helpless, trapped in his current position.

" Zackly was killed ? And Anelise has disappeared ?". Levi echoed the words of Eld and Gunther, the disbelief evident in his voice.

In the mere span of a few hours since their last update, everything had spiraled into chaos and despair. Eld and Gunther yearned to aid the person who had saved them years ago, but the relentless grip of authority left them with no choice but to follow the orders thrust upon them.

Eld solemnly nodded," Yes... The Jaegerists have gained full control within the walls".

" We suspect that all this chaos is being orchestrated by Zeke, working through Eren and Yelena. As for Anelise..." Gunther trailed off, his voice tinged with worry." Kenny, Erwin, and Hannes have ventured out to search for her, but we've yet to receive any concrete news".

Levi's usually steely gaze darkened, and he let out a heavy sigh," And what about Pixis ? Is he just going to yield to their demands without a fight ?".

Eld and Gunther exchanged uncertain glances. In this grim situation, they were as lost as anyone else. Just a few hours ago, they had believed they had the upper hand, but now...

Clearing his throat, Gunther spoke cautiously," Commander Pixis remains resolute. He's devising a plan to seize an opportunity while Eren is being transported here".

" It's regrettable, but this seems to be the only way to protect Eldia from the rule of the Jaegerists and Zeke". Eld added.

Levi's voice held a bitter edge as he responded," So, you mean we have to let someone else devour Eren, and in the process, sacrifice Anelise, by our own hands ?".

Eld's reply was hesitant," Yes...".

Eren had undergone a profound transformation, but they had fought to save him. Sacrificing him like this would make the sacrifices of their comrades seem in vain. Especially Anelise, who had selflessly aided them without reservation. It was a cruel injustice.

Witnessing their captain's turmoil, Eld and Gunther stepped back, giving him space to collect his thoughts. The weight of the situation was overwhelming.

" I've saved Eren's life time and time again. Each time, so many of my comrades have perished... And she, Anelise, even hurt herself multiple times just to aid him," Levi mused aloud. "I did it because I believed he was humanity's best hope for survival... 

And now, this is where that belief has led us. Sacrificing a brilliant young woman who brought light into the lives of many, all because of this fool... Losing comrades... It's almost like... one big, dreadful joke. Was that hope we all clung to nothing more than this farce ? I can't find any humor in it. Not at all".

Levi clutched his head, a mix of anguish and anger in his eyes as he stared into the abyss of uncertainty.