Jake Peralta- Cautioned (h)

Having an older brother was both good and bad in many ways – you always had someone there as a shoulder to cry on or a sounding board but it also meant there as always someone there, always watching what you were doing and making sure you weren't breaking the rules in any way, shape or form.

Having an older brother that was also a detective made your home life a little less fun when you wanted to be rebellious.

Considering the fact that you lived with your brother, it made it hard to get away with things as he always knew what to look for – you couldn't blame him for being suspicious as you didn't always listen to him.

You knew you were in for a complete and utter speech though when one of the cops at the 99 hauled you into the precinct.

"Peralta's her legal guardian so thought you'd want her to be here, not in the holding cell with the others," the cop who had brought you in told Jake's colleagues.

Amy looked up and sighed when she saw you, she came over and pulled you into a hug before letting you sit down at her desk.

"Why were you caught Y/N? What did you do this time?"

You grimaced, sinking down in the chair and fidgeting with your sleeves. "I may or may not have been found smoking something I really shouldn't have been smoking."

"Pot Y/N?!" your brother's voice thundered from behind you. "For the sake of me not turning grey just yet little sis, please bloody stop."

Turning around you offered your brother a weak smile. "Hi Jake."

He shook his head at you, looking almost murderous at the fact that you had been brought in.

"Whoa there Peralta," Terry came in and placed a hand on Jake's shoulder to calm him down. "It's not as serious as it's seeming."

You smiled over at Terry, the man who was basically an Uncle to you and a rather vocal supporter at all of your school's events.

"How is it not serous? My little sister, who is still a minor might I add, got caught smoking pot by one of my colleagues!" Jake practically ranted and you could tell this wasn't going to go away with just an apology.

Sighing you got up from Amy's chair to walk over to him. "Jake, I'm sorry okay, I didn't think I'd get caught."

He rolled his eyes. "You were a block from the precinct Y/N, everyone here knows you and you didn't exactly try not to get caught."

"So, what's the issue here then huh? The fact that I was smoking pot or the fact that I got caught doing it," you challenged your brother as you levelled his glare. "They could've cautioned me, you know, but no instead I was dragged all the way here because my stupid big brother is a cop and they just couldn't let the kin of a cop off with a caution!"

Jake winced at how frustrated you were. He knew you felt like a child a lot of the time, he knew you wanted to rebel, but he couldn't help his job and he couldn't change the fact that people knew you were his sister.

As he sighed, he put his arms out with a small smile by way of truce.

Realising that he was done yelling at you you walked into his arms and welcomed the warm hug, the hugs that always made you feel protected and safe as a child and somehow still managed to have the same effect.

"I really am sorry Jake," you mumbled into his jacket.

You knew he'd heard you when he pressed a kiss to the top of your hair. "I get it little sis, I do, just next time please don't get caught."

"You're being a surprisingly cool brother about this whole pot thing."

He chuckled, pulling back slightly so that he could look you in the eyes. "As long as it's not harming you, and it's not to excess, I suppose I can live with it."

You smiled at him realising that he could be quite understanding when he wanted to be, and that perhaps rebelling against him might not have been the best course of action in the first place.

"Can I just say something?" Terry's voice came from behind you, so you turned around. "I am cooler than Jake."

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.