chapter sixty-three

lolchez: NEW ROOMIE ALERT!!! LOOK OUT CHICAGO! LOLZ AND EL HAVE ENTERED THE BUILDING!!!24,673 comments

24,673 comments

"peter!" eliana yelled as she practically strutted into the gym. "your favorite gymnast is back! it's me! i'm back!"
he came out of the front office and shook his head. "we missed you." peter laughed and gave her a hug.
"i'm sure everything went downhill when i was gone." she looked around. "surprised you didn't burn the place down."
"we forgot how much of the front desk type stuff you did." he looked to the desk. "we actually had to hire a receptionist."
"really?" she giggled.
"really." he confirmed. "how was touring with the boyfriend?"
"it was amazing, peter. i already miss it, honestly."
"well, don't be missing it too much. you have a lot of work to do." he nodded towards the gym. "let's see how well you've been doing."

"you're doing great, el." peter crossed his arms as he thought for a moment. "i think i want to start training a nabieva."
"ooh." eliana let out a little laugh. "okay."
"i think you should probably have that down by nationals, which gives you a little less than two months."
she sucked in a breath.
"you already have it piked. we'll drill it for a week or two, and you'll be fine. you've gotten much harder skills much faster."
she nodded. "yeah, i know. i just-skills like that still scare me a little."
"you'll be okay." he said, then checked his watch. "it's been almost eight hours. why don't you go home for today?"
"yeah." she nodded. "i have to call ben."

ben's smiling face popped up on her screen. "hey, sweetheart."
"hi."
"how was it? first day back?" he propped his chin up on his hand.
"i didn't realize how much i missed peter." she laughed. "it was kinda weird. i feel like it's not my gym anymore."
"what do you mean?"
"like, it used to feel like my place. where eliana dempsey trains, you know? now it's just another gym."
ben was quiet for a minute, and he nodded. "i think i know why."
"please, enlighten me." she laughed.
"you're finding that you have an identity outside of gymnastics. it's not your only thing anymore, so that place doesn't feel as special."
her mouth dropped open as she blinked. "i don't-when did you get so wise?"
he laughed. "i was just thinking about what you said the other night. your future's more than just gymnastics now."
she went quiet.
"and i think it's a good thing."
"i think so too." she said.