chapter ninety-six

eliana woke up before the sun rose, and quickly pulled on a sweatshirt and shorts, then quietly left the apartment and padded down to the elevator. once she was out of the lobby, she jogged towards the beach, where a shadowy figure was waiting.

"ben!" she called softly.

he looked up and smiled, his face barely visible under the still starry sky. "hey, sweetheart."

he lifted her off the ground in a hug.

"i'm sorry i couldn't get you a pass for inside. security is really tight."

"it's okay, as long as i get to see you." he kissed her. "speaking of, you killed it yesterday. that floor routine was next level."

"thanks." she giggled as they sat down on the sand, her legs laid over his lap. "can we not talk about gymnastics, though?"

"we can talk about whatever you want." he said. "you're the boss."

eliana sighed and laid her head on his shoulder. the sun was just beginning to rise, little rays of yellow light peeking over the horizon.

"i think i'm going to take a break. sorry, still gymnastics related." she said.

"what kind of break? like, a few months, a year, a-"

"like a maybe i'll come back, maybe i won't kind of break." she said.

"seriously?" ben was shocked.

"i've been elite for over nine years now. it's really taken a toll on my health, mental and physical. you know that."

he nodded.

"i know i need a break. i've already decided that." she continued. "it's just the question of whether i'll come back or not."

"do you feel like it's the right time?"

"yeah, i mean, i don't know." she shifted a little closer to him. "my entire life has been focused on one thing, the olympics. and now i'm here. it happened. i don't-this is it, you know?"

"are you sure you're ready to give it up completely? i'll support you either way, but like you said, this has been your life for so long." he said.

"that's why i want to say it's a break." she said. "also, lola might kill me if i retire."

ben laughed. "i wouldn't put it past her."

"but, i do need to figure out what to do during my break." she laughed. "i'll need something to keep me busy."

ben smiled nervously. "well, new york city is a great place to keep busy."

eliana looked up out of the corner of her eye. "is it?"

"well, yeah." he went on. "and my apartment is actually meant for two people, so..." he raised his eyebrows. "if you want..."

she smiled and took his hand. "i don't think i'll ever want to leave if i move in with you."

"sweetheart, that is not a problem." he laughed. "believe me. i can't get enough of you, eliana dempsey."

"i could go to college." she thought out loud, then scrunched her nose up. "never mind. that sounds awful."

"we'll be unemployed together." he said as he rubbed her shoulder. "you don't have to worry about that right now, ellie. you're at the olympics. you've got enough to stress about."

"damn right." she nodded emphatically. the sun was now completely over the water, the sky a pretty shade of pink reflected across the small waves.

"why don't you think about it for a day or two?" ben asked. "i don't want you to just agree because you feel like you have to."

"ben, i want to. i really do." she smiled.

"just think about it, please." he said.

"okay." eliana laid her head against his shoulder again, and a few minutes later, her phone started to buzz. she sighed. "i guess that's my alarm. i gotta go." she turned and kissed him.

"have a good day, sweetheart." he said. "i love you."

"i love you too." she smiled and headed back towards the village, leaving him to watch the rest of the sunrise alone.