chapter thirty-one

sunday, july 19
eliana woke up to a knock at her door.
"delivery for eliana dempsey!" a voice said. she yawned sleepily and took the package from the delivery person and went back inside. she grabbed a smoothie from the fridge and opened the box. the inside was lined with yellow wrapping paper and huge letters reading 'happy birthday sweetheart!' eliana smiled and started to unpack the contents. there was a golden retriever stuffed animal, a few rolls of athletic tape, packs of chocolate covered almonds, a new water bottle, a framed picture of the two of them, a jar filled with hershey kisses, labeled 'kisses for when i'm not there,' and ben's newsies on tour sweatshirt. at the very bottom, there was an envelope with a letter inside.
my beautiful ellie!
you're 19 now, which makes you officially older than me! it breaks my heart that most of our time has been spent apart, but i simply couldn't wait to give you your present today. i collected a bunch of stuff that i thought you might need/want, so i hope you enjoy. also, props to stephanie and sky for helping me make it look as pretty as you.
words can't even describe how obsessed with you i am, but i'll try my best. here goes.
i've never felt the way that you make me feel. i've never waited by my phone, jumping at every notification because it might be someone. i've never started to smile at the very thought of one person. all of that changed when i met you.
eliana dempsey, you flipped your way into my life and stuck the damn landing.
you make me a better person. you're strong, beautiful, amazing, talented, incredible, gorgeous, sweet, and most of all, angelic. you're my angel. i could stare into your eyes forever, and the way they light up when you laugh, or the fierce look of determination when you compete would always amaze me.
simply put, i could never get tired of you. marvelous, perfect, angelic you.
being apart all the time is really hard. i'm so sorry that this is the norm for us, but we aren't exactly normal to begin with. i know that we'll only grow stronger as we go through this together.
happy birthday, sweetheart.
love, ben
tears filled her eyes as she read it, and she almost didn't notice the small print in the bottom corner of the letter.
p.s.- come to the door
almost as if it was on cue, a knock sounded at her door. she swung it open to reveal her boyfriend standing there, holding a bouquet of roses. her hands flew to her face and the tears started to roll down her cheeks.
"oh my god." she whispered as she blinked, making sure she wasn't seeing things. "am i dreaming?"
"it's me, ellie." ben said. she stared at him in disbelief for a second, then flung her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder.
"happy birthday, sweetheart." he said, his voice muffled by her hair. her feet lifted off the ground when he straightened up and closed the door. she pulled away and held his face in her hands, just looking into those beautiful blue eyes before she kissed him.
ben smiled when they pulled apart and handed her the roses.
"i can't believe you're here." she said.
"i wouldn't have missed it for the world." he said. "besides, we're coming here next anyway."
"what?" her eyes widened.
"i didn't wanna tell you because it would've spoiled the surprise." his ears turned red and he smiled sheepishly. eliana's face broke into an even bigger grin and she hugged him again. "i've missed you so much."
"i missed you more." he said. "how did the competition go?"
"same as last time. i won the all around, bars, vault, and floor. third on beam." she shrugged. ben looked at her in awe. "i can't believe i'm dating someone as ridiculously talented as you."
"i can't believe i'm dating someone as handsome as you." she stood up on her toes and kissed his cheek.

bentylercook: birthday girl ❤️ so happy i got to surprise her7,264 comments     user1: AWE     skyflaherty_: YOU MADE IT!!!     user2: @user5 why can't my bf do this        user5: because he sucks, kendall     elianadempsey: 🥺❤️        bentylerco...

7,264 comments
user1: AWE
skyflaherty_: YOU MADE IT!!!
user2: @user5 why can't my bf do this
user5: because he sucks, kendall
elianadempsey: 🥺❤️
bentylercook: 😘
user3: y'all are the cutest couple omg
grace_york: you BETTER treat her right