chapter fifty-five

eliana slipped into ben's dressing room during seize the day to put his glasses back. as she reached into her bag, something caught her eye. she bit her lip, staring at the phone on his dresser. this was the kind of thing crazy people did. crazy girlfriends.
eliana was not a crazy girlfriend.
going through his phone was something a crazy person would do.
unless, of course, there was a reason. right? if there was a reason, like, not telling her who he's been hanging out with, then it's okay. she wouldn't be crazy for just trying to figure something out.
right?
eliana set the phone down again. she couldn't do it. she trusted ben. she'd trust ben with her life.
right?
she could hear the music to the little fight scene kicking up, and knew she didn't have much time left.
if she was going to do it, she had to do it now.
"i am not crazy." she whispered to herself as she picked up his phone and opened it.
first, she went to his instagram. there were no dms from phoebe, and it looked like he wasn't even following her.
she let out a breath.
then, she went to snapchat. no phoebe.
she let out a breath.
now, what she was worried for: his text messages.
biting her lip, she tapped on the little green app. just like she had feared, right under
"ellie❤️" the next person was "phoebs."
phoebs?
"seriously, ben?" she murmured. "a nickname?"
eliana had told ben how much she hated phoebe. she was sure of it. there was no way that, in their almost eight months of dating, she had never mentioned phoebe sinclair.
she couldn't bring herself to look at their messages. just seeing her name on his screen was enough.
eliana carefully put his glasses back into her backpack. she didn't want to give those back quite yet.