chapter fifty

wednesday, september 9
phoebe dusted off her hands and took a sip of water. she took a glance at eliana, who was lazily swinging around the bars as a crowd of younger girls watched her. they gasped and cheered when eliana landed, and phoebe rolled her eyes. she didn't know how she was going to survive the next six weeks eliana was in san francisco.
the bell on the lobby doors ring as someone came in, and phoebe smiled. things were about to get a whole lot better.
ben looked around the gym, searching for his girlfriend.
"who're you looking for?" a platinum blonde girl appeared. she leaned closer on the barrier, looking up at him.
"uh, my girlfriend. eliana." he said. phoebe put on a fake surprised face. "oh my gosh, you're el's boyfriend? no way!"
"you know her?"
"of course! i'm on the national team with her." she smiled. "how long have you guys been dating?"
ben thought for a moment. "seven months. we met in january, but didn't start dating until february."
"wow, i think that's the longest el's ever had a boyfriend."
he squinted. "she-i didn't know she had...she's dated other guys?"
phoebe shrugged. "well, she dated around for a while, you know. some guys from her high school, and then this one kid on the men's gymnastics team, declan. she was hung up on him for months."
"oh." ben scratched the back of his neck.
"but, honestly, i wouldn't worry about it! she's probably-" she put her hand on his arm. "i mean, she's obviously over him."
he nodded slowly. "yeah. right." he looked over at her. "i'm sorry, i totally didn't ask what your name was."
"phoebe." she smiled. "phoebe sinclair."
"ben." he said. "it's nice to meet you. i've only met a few of ellie's teammates, you know, lola, and cally."
"yeah, we've been competing together since we were kids."
"cool, cool." he checked his watch. "uh, do you know if she'll be done soon?"
phoebe clicked her tongue and looked back to the locker room doors. "i think she'll be coming out in a little bit."
a coach called her name. "phoebe! bars!"
"it was really nice talking to you, ben."
"yeah, you too."
"maybe i'll see you around?"
"count on it." he grinned. phoebe smirked to herself as she walked back to the bars.