•Chapter 40•

Elara Beck
The scene I walked into wasn't one of happiness.
I could see that just from Agnes' pale face and Shawn's wide eyes.
It send a shock wave through me and I held Frances closer to my chest.
I moved my eye between the two as my breath hitched in my throat.
"What's going on? Is everything ok?" I asked and I placed Frances gently on the ground.
She ran straight to Shawn and tugged on his jumper when he didn't pick her up straight away.
He looked at me and I raised an eyebrow.
"Hello? Am I talking to two brick walls?"
"Elara we need to talk" Agnes said timidly with tears in her eyes.
My heart beat a thousand miles a second.
"Before we do," Shawn said and walked over to me before pressing his lips to mine.
He gripped my waist and pulled me into him.
I felt myself blush at the fact he was kissing me so passionately infront of Agnes and Frances.
"Hey" he winked as he pulled away and I had to suppress the swoon that was building up inside of me.
I watched as he flopped on the sofa, his legs open and a grin plastered onto his face.
I had to remind myself that my child was in the room.

"Agnes has something to share." Shawn said and I watched as a tear fell from her eye.
I walked over and took her into my arms, squeezing her tight.
"Aggie what's wrong? Here come and sit down" I said and she sat on the small arm chair we had.
I glanced quickly at Shawn who was now staring intently at the floor, toying with his bottom lip in his fingers.
"I-I really don't want to do this now Beck." Agnes said and I sighed.
"No we need to do this now." Shawn scoffed.
"Alright that's it, what's going on?" I said and folded my arms over my chest.
"I bumped into Agnes on the street and she hurt her wrist so I brought her back here. I was trying to help her and she starts saying how she has feelings for me and starts trying to hold my hand and get closer to me and she kissed me." Shawn said and I had to swallow down a sick feeling I had.
"Is that true?" I said looking at Agnes, who now had her head in her hands.
She just shook her head.
"It is the truth Agnes you can't hide away from it now." Shawn said and I closed my eyes.
"Agnes. Is that true?"
She looked up at me with wet eyelashes and red eyes and I immediately knew it was true.
"Beck I'm sorry ok. But I can't help it. The more I came over and we all hung out and the more you talk about him I just, feelings just crept in and I can't help how I feel!" She said rising from the chair.

I felt tears build in my own eyes.
My best friend was stood here telling me how she had feelings for my boyfriend, the father of my daughter.
She had made a move on him.

"Shawn would you take Frances into the other room please?" I said quietly and he nodded before scooping her up.
"Elara I-"
"No you don't get to talk right now. Agnes you're supposed to be my best friend!"
"I am! I am your best friend Beck!" She said and reached for my hands but I quickly pulled them away from her.
"No. A best friend wouldn't make a move on my boyfriend! He's the father of my child for Christ sake! We're a family! And here you are trying to weasel your way in?" I cried.
"You can't blame me for the feelings I have!"
"I'm not. I'm blaming you for making a move on him Agnes who does that to their best friend?!" I sobbed and she just looked at me and shook her head.
"I didn't mean-"
"Don't you dare say you didn't mean it. You obviously did or you wouldn't have done it! But you don't care about that do you Aggie. Ever since sixth grade, any boy that has shown the slightest interest in me you've taken them away from me! Not one boyfriend that I've had have you not tried to get with him. And I see now that every time you said it was him coming on to you, that was a lie! But not this time Aggie oh no. Not when it comes to my family." I sobbed and she again just shook her head.
"I can't help how I feel."
"So you're going to try and take him away from me too? You're going to do that to that child in there huh? Split up her parents." I cried quieter.
"You don't understand!"
"Leave. Get out of our home and do not come back to talk to me unless it's with a sincere apology, not only to me but to both of them in there." I said and ushered her out of the door, not letting her explain.

I shut the door and suddenly felt as if all of my energy slid out of my body.
I slid down the back of the door and slumped down onto the floor.
All my tears had dried up and I tried to take deep breaths.
Shawn came with Frances and sat beside me before pulling me between his legs so he could hold me. Frances clambered onto me and Shawn wrapped his arms around both of us.
"Sad" Frances said with an exaggerated pout and I heard shawn laugh lightly.
"That's a new one for the list." He laughed and I sighed.
"Mamma sad." Frances said and I pushed a smile onto my face.
"I'm not sad baby I'm ok." I sighed and kissed her slightly chubby cheeks.

As the evening went on I couldn't get what happened out of my head. It had taken me back so badly that I could hardly comprehend it.
I don't really think Shawn could comprehend it either.
"I just want you to know that I never did anything Elara. She came on to me." Shawn said as we sat cuddled up on the couch after putting Frances to bed.
"I know." I said and smiled up at him.
He placed a sweet kiss to my forehead and a chill went up my spine as his hand brushed the bare skin of my side.
I didn't want to think about Agnes anymore and I could sense that Shawn didn't either from the way he kept shuffling round.
I plastered a grin onto my face and looked up at him.
"What?" He said cautiously.
"Oh nothing. Just thinking about how fucking hot you looked earlier." I grinned and I watched as his cheeks turned slightly pink.
"When?" He grinned and I sat up properly facing him.
"You know, after you kissed me, then went back to the sofa, purposefully tempting me." I said and he bit his bottom lip.
"Was i?"
"You knew you were."
"Maybe that's because I knew later it would lead to this. I knew you wouldn't stop thinking about it." He whispered and leaned forward to place a single kiss to my neck.
"Well you got what you wanted, don't you dare leave me hanging now."
"I wasn't planning on it."