•Chapter 13•

Shawn Mendes
The messages and phone calls kept coming and coming.
They were driving me insane.
I would often turn my phone off in hopes that if she couldn't get through to me she would give up.

I had been receiving countless calls and messages from Elara, whom I only just remembered from the summer fling we had. Our fling was months ago. She surely couldn't want me. It was just a fling. Nothing more. I didn't need to see her. I didn't need to talk to her. Yet she was so persistent. And the fact that she was so persistent made me curious.
I went through all the things that she could have wanted. But not one of them made me think that she would need to be that persistent.
If she wanted another fling there were plenty of other guys out there that would find her attractive. The only other reason I could think of was that she wanted a favour. But I had no idea what she could want from me.
My team had to block her email to stop her from trying to contact me. Even I was on the verge of blocking her number on my phone.

I was out for dinner with the team. It was our last week out in California before I would be heading back to Canada. It felt good to be carefree. I had nothing to worry about.
Well, that was until a voicemail appeared on my phone half way through the dinner. I rolled my eyes when I saw it was from Elara.
"Jesus man." I sighed and Andrew looked over my shoulder.
"Just see what she wants, deal with it, and then you can leave and hopefully then she'll leave you alone when she gets what she wants." He shrugged and I sighed.
"Surely there's nothing that's important enough for her to be trying to get a hold of me this persistently."
I said rolling my eyes.
"But you don't know what's going on. She could be in trouble or something. I think you just need to talk to her and see what she wants Shawn." Andrew said and I understood what he meant, but it didn't mean that I wanted to.
I shook my head and clicked on the voicemail.

'Shawn it's Elara Beck. I don't know why you're ignoring my calls and messages but I desperately need to talk to you. It couldn't be more urgent Shawn. Please, please call me back, or whenever you're next in Toronto, contact me so we can meet up and talk. Again, it's so so urgent that I speak to you preferably sooner rather than later'

I looked between my phone and Andrew a few times before playing the voice message again.
Her voice sounded shaky and there was a hint of worry that I could hear. It worried me slightly that something was really wrong and I was involved somehow.
I looked at Andrew who also looked confused and slightly worried.
"Doesn't sound good." He sighed and I groaned.
"I know. I just don't want to get dragged into something that's going to mess up everything that I've been working on." I sighed and Andrew hit my back lightly.
"Then don't if you don't want to get dragged into it then don't. Just block her number and move away from it." He said and I nodded.

No matter what was happening, I didn't want to be dragged into anything. Not while I was feeling so positive about the near future. Her problems didn't just become my issues just because we spent a week together. As I had always said, we were not together. We never were. Whatever it was, she would have to deal with it without me.