•Chapter 50•

Elara Beck
"You need to take her to the hospital."
"Mum please don't scare me."
"Elara I'm not trying to scare you I'm trying to tell you what you need to do."
"I'm sure it's just a bug."
"It's been going on for too long and you said it yourself, she's extremely drowsy and is still throwing up with a fever. Have you checked her body?"
"No. For what?"
"A rash."

I walked into Shawn and I's room where Frances was now stationed.
She had barely moved since the first night I put her in here.
I knew something was wrong with her but I just assumed it was a bug.
Now mum was saying she needed a hospital while I was clueless.
I felt like such an awful mother.
Shawn on the other hand wasn't even answering my calls.

I walked over to Frances and gently slipped off her pyjama top.
To my horror her front and back was covered in a rash.
"Mum there's a rash."
"Ok. Get a glass and put it over the rash and gently push down. Does it go away or can you still see it through the glass?" She said and I followed her instructions.
"I can see it."
"Ok, baby listen to me, you need to get her to the hospital and you need to go right now." She said and I felt like I could have passed out myself.
"Mum..."
"Elara go. Take her now."

I hung up the phone and quickly slipped her top back on.
Tears were now falling down my cheeks as I stroked her cheek.
"Hey baby, shall we go on an adventure?" I said and she lazily opened her eyes.
"Where? Is daddy coming?"
"Yeah. Daddy is going to meet us there. We're going to go in the car ok?" I said and picked her up.
I looked down at my grey sweatpants and black baggy jumper and shook my head.
I didn't have time to change.
I grabbed two water bottles from out of the fridge, grabbed my bag and walked quickly to the car.
I strapped Frances in and quickly made my way to the hospital.

By this point I was more than panicked.
I didn't know what was going on and I didn't know what to do.
On my way to the hospital I rang Shawn but still he wasn't picking up.

As we reached the hospital I quickly parked my car, scooped up everything I needed, picked up Frances and ran into the entrance.
"Is everything ok?" A nurse said to me and I shook my head while crying.
"S-Shes had a fever, headache and has been vomiting for three days. A-and Ive noticed a rash on her body and I don't know what to do." I said and the nurse nodded and ran to reception.
She spoke to the guy at the desk for a while before beckoning me over.
"If you'll follow me, we've got a doctor free who's going to look at her ok? Has she been this drowsy for long?"
"All of today." I said and the nurse nodded as we rushed down several hallways.
I noticed people videoing and taking photos but right now I didn't care.
My main concern was my child.

As the doctor looked her over I paced up and down the room.
"Miss Beck, would you sit down for me?" She said and I nodded.
Frances remained on the bed as the doctor came over to me and took one of my hands in hers.
"Has she by any chance not had her vaccinations?"
"N-no our appointment for her is in a month. That's the first one I could get." I cried and she nodded.
"Ok. Well, I'm sorry but Frances has contracted meningitis and it's really in the stages of becoming dangerous." She said and I sobbed.
The sobs wracked through me and I couldn't hold them back.
"Listen to me," The doctor said and I nodded while wiping away my tears.
"Is she dying? Oh my god this is my fault! This is all my fault!" I cried.
"Elara listen to me now," She said and I shook my head, "We have to get this child on fluids, antibiotics and oxygen now or else she'll be at an irreversible point."

I felt sick.
More than sick.

As they wheeled her out on the bed and into a room I felt like I wasn't even on earth anymore.
I felt like time had stopped.

I watched on as they slipped an oxygen mask over her face and all I could do was watch as my baby started to cry as they stuck two needles in her arms.
I walked over to her bedside and stroked her hair and her cheek.
"It's ok. Everything is going to be ok." I said, but i didn't even believe myself.
"I-I want daddy." She sniffed and I nodded as tears started to fall from my own eyes.
"I know baby. So do I."

Shawn Mendes
I sat backstage with my new phone finally charging.
I cursed myself when I broke mine a few days ago.
I had only been able to get this replacement now and I couldn't wait to explain to Elara what happened and to just hear her voice and Frances'.
I was desperate to see them.
But i knew I didn't have long to wait.
Only a day.

"It's almost time!"
I nodded and bounced my knee anxiously as I went through the process of setting up the phone.
"Give me a minute."

As soon as the phone booted up I immediately dialled Elara's number that I now had memorised.
She didn't pick up on her he first try.
I tried twice more before she finally picked up.
Anxiety was already coursing through me.
She always picked up on the first try.
"H-"
"Where the fuck have you been?!" She yelled and I held the phone away from my ear.
"My phone broke! I've only just been able to get a new one!" I yelled back.
"Your fucking daughter is sat here in the hospital with a deadly infection Shawn! And where have you been?! Shagging some brunette huh?!" She cried and my heart immediately stopped beating.
"W-what did you just say?"
"Frances is in the hospital and has been for twelve hours now!"

The tears started to fall hard and fast as I started to really take in what she was telling me.

"W-what?"
"How many times do I need to repeat myself to you?! She's in the hospital! She's not coming home for at least another week! And where are you?! Blaming it on some broken phone. There were ways to call me. Andrew and Camila both have my number! For god sake I saw the videos Shawn! I'm not stupid! I swear to god Shawn if you think we're getting married now you've got another thing coming."

As soon as the line went dead I ran to the bathroom and threw up everything I had eaten that day.
I sobbed as I leaned over the toilet.
I slumped on the floor and stayed there for a good five minutes before reality hit me.

My girls needed me.
And I would be dammed if I didn't go and help them.
The show could wait.
My daughter couldn't.