•Chapter 27•

Elara Beck
I had never felt so awkward in my life.
Shawns parents were looking at me and Frances like we were criminals, and their silence made it so much worse.
Frances started to wriggle in my arms and I could tell that there was a cry on the way. I looked down at her and her little bottom lip was starting to quiver.
"Hey," I said and held her infront of me. "Don't cry, it's ok." I whispered. I kissed her head and rocked her, holding her close to my chest.
"Shall we all just sit and talk?" Shawn said and everyone nodded before taking a seat around the room.
I sat Frances on my lap facing me and held her little hands, making silly faces so she would be happier.
She kicked her legs and showed her two teeth as I kissed her nose.
"Here." Shawn said and handed me her favourite stuffed elephant.
Frances took a hold of it and I moved her back so she was resting in my arms.

"Well I think I should explain. Elara and I met in a club, nearly a year ago, and, liked each other. We didn't speak for the entirety of her pregnancy so I didn't know about Frances until after she was about a month old." Shawn said and everyone was staring at me, making my hands sweat.
"She's beautiful." Shawns mother said and I watched as a tear fell onto her cheek. "Can I hold her?"
"Of course you can." I smiled and she came to sit next to me as I gently placed Frances in her hands.
As soon as Frances was put in her hands shes started to cry.
"Im Karen by the way. This is Manny." Mum cried and I could help but laugh as Karen held out her hand.
"Elara."
"Hello my little one. Oh Elara she's absolutely lovely. How is she? Has she had a doctor's appointment? Is there anything we can do?" Karen said wiping away her tears.
"Shes absolutely fine. I took her to the doctors to get something for her teething and of course she cries a lot at the moment because of teething but she's a dream." I said and brushed Frances' little cheek with my finger.
"And how are you coping?" Manny asked and I sighed.
"Well I'm at university so it's been difficult which is why I've moved in with Shawn for the time being." I said.
"Shawn please tell me you've been helping her out?" He asked.
"He has. He's been very good to us." I said quickly, I looked between them and sighed, "I know it's not the perfect situation. I'm young, I have no money, no experience and Shawn and I aren't even together. But I can promise you that I try my best. I'm not perfect but I do all I can."

I saw his parents share a glance before they both looked back at me. Shawn took a hold of one of my hands and intertwined our fingers.
"Yes it would have been more practical for you two to be together and for you both to be older, but that's not the case. You have a beautiful baby and you both have the responsibility to look after her. Neither of us would ever judge how you bring her up. That's up to the two of you." Karen said handing Frances back to me.
"And you know that I'll support all of us and I'm happy to do that. You're my family." Shawn said and I nodded. "And, I have a confession."
"Oh god." I sighed.
"I may, or may not be in the process of buying a flat." Shawn said and I furrowed my eyebrows.
"Why? You have a house?"
"A flat for you and Frances. So that I can stay there with you two and look after her when you're at university. Besides it'll be bigger so we have more space for her cot and toys and have a proper kitchen, bedroom and bathroom." He explained and I blinked a few times at him. "You need help with her Elara. You need sleep and I want to be there to help. We can't stay at mine because it's too far from the uni."

I didn't know how to respond.
I didn't know whether I was ready for us to live together.
Sure it would be practical and it would definitely help.
But living together?
I didn't know if I was ready.
Then again, we already had a baby together and he was right I did need help.
"Shawn that would be so lovely." I smiled.
"So you'll live with me?"
"Of course."
He kissed my cheek lightly and I could feel myself blushing.
"You two are so cute together." Aaliyah said and the blush got stronger on my cheeks.
"Yes why aren't you two together?" Karen asked.
"It's my fault really. I was a bit of an asshole to her and ignored her texts and calls during the pregnancy." He sighed and I shook my head, giving his hand a squeeze.
"All forgiven."
"Well then maybe you'll let me take you on a date?" He asked and I couldn't help but laugh.
"Ok."
"Well we can babysit. Why don't you leave her here for the night and just have an evening with each other?" Manny said and my breath hitched in my throat.

I couldn't leave my baby.
I didn't want to be away from her even if their house was so close.
I wasn't sure I could sleep knowing she wasn't in the house.
She was under a year old surely I shouldn't leave her.
"I-I don't know."
"We'll take such good care of her I promise Elara. She will be absolutely fine and you can come and pick her up first thing in the morning. But I think it will be good to just have a night on your own."
"Just don't make anymore babies" Aaliyah shrugged and my eyes widened at her.
"Aaliyah!" Karen said and Shawn shook his head with a roll of his eyes.
"So, what do you think?" Shawn said but I was still extremely apprehensive.
"O-ok but you promise me if something's wrong you'll call us to come and get her." I said and all of them nodded.
"Of course we will. But go and have fun for a night. Just you two."