•Chapter 31•

Elara Beck
I felt awful for saying it.
It just slipped out, out of anger and frustration.
But it's not like I could apologise.
From upstairs I heard Shawn leaving the house, slamming the door as he did so.
I sighed to myself and got dressed properly into jeans and a jumper, ready to go and get Frances.
I just wanted to hold her.
I wanted her back in my arms.

No matter how many times I tried to ring shawn he wouldn't pick up the phone.
I must have tried at least eight times.
But I wasn't waiting for him.
I wanted my baby.

It took me two separate busses to get to Shawn's parents house.
By the time I arrived I was frustrated, tired and restless.
I knocked on the door half heartedly and waited for someone to come and let me in.

"Elara? Is everything alright?" Karen asked as she opened the door.
"I'm here for Frances?" I said and her eyebrows immediately furrowed together and she looked at me with a confused expression.
"What do you mean?"
"Karen my baby is here and I'm just here to pick her up." I said feeling the tears start to build in my eyes.
"Shawns already picked her up."
"Excuse me?"
"He picked her up around half an hour ago. He was going to meet a friend with her." She explained and I covered my face with my hands as the tears started to fall.
I couldn't believe that he would do this.
How could he do that to me?
Why would he do that?
All these questions ran around in my head and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack.
I had to slow my breathing down to get the black specs out of my vision.

"I'm sorry Elara I thought you knew!" Karen said and I felt her rub my back.
"N-no. We had a fight this morning and he just stormed out." I cried. "Wheres he taken her?"
"I don't know."
"Oh my god." I said and the sobs wracked my rib cage.
"I'm so sorry. God I'm so mad at him!"
I wiped away the tears with my fingers and took a deep breath in and out.
I pulled out my phone and went into Twitter, knowing that if he was out with Frances people would have taken photos and I was sure one of them would have tagged me.
Sure enough there was plenty of photos telling me where he was.
"I'm going to get my daughter." I said.
"Don't do anything irrational!" Karen yelled as I started walking back down the driveway and called a taxi.

It didn't take long to get to the city centre and my heart pounded as I walked the streets looking for the sign of the cafe that he was supposedly in.
But when you're looking for Shawn Mendes in a large city, it wasn't easy.
"Excuse me?" I asked a girl who looked slightly older than I was. Her hair was jet black but as she turned and smiled I was taken back at how green her eyes were and how polished her makeup was.
I felt comforted as she smiled brightly.
"Everything ok?"
"I'm actually looking for-"
"Shawn?"
"Yeah." I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.
"I heard he was at Skylight."
"I have no idea where that is." I groaned and she gave me a smile and shook her head.
"I can take you. I'm Rowan."
"Elara."
"Yeah. I got that." She said and I smiled a little before remembering why I was there.

I walked side by side with Rowan and I was grateful that she didn't ask many questions. Then again, no one could say they were looking for Shawn Mendes, the father of your child, and not ask some questions.
"So, shouldn't you know where he is? Doesn't he have your baby?"
"Erm. Yeah he does." I sighed, feeling the tears wanting to break free.
"I won't tell the press anything you say. Girls have to stick together." She winked and I smiled.
"Thanks. We got into an argument and there was a misunderstanding." I said vaguely.
"Why does he have the baby then?"
"I'm sorry but I just want to get her. Then we can talk." I said and she nodded.

We walked quickly to a small side street and there was a cafe outside only covered by a glass roof.
My hands started to get sweaty and my heart started to thump.
But as I saw him with Frances in his lap, her head over his shoulder looking at me I saw red.
I looked at Frances and I felt tears coming to my eyes as she started to cry and kick her legs.
Shawn looked over and I looked away from his eyes.
I got to their table and didn't bother looking at the girl he was with.
Frances was still kicking her legs and crying and I wiped away my tears.
"I'm not making a fuss in public but I swear to god you better give her to me right now." I said quietly, still not being able to look him in the eye.
"Elara can we just-"
"No. Give me Frances."
"Camila just wanted to meet her."
"I don't care. I'm sorry."
"Id love to meet you as well." She said and I gave her a weak smile through my tears.
"So would I. But right now I just want Frances and to go home." I cried and she placed a comforting hand on mine and I managed to return the squeeze.

After I wiped my tears again, I took Frances out of Shawns hands and cried as she wrapped her arms around my neck.
"Hi baby." I whispered and walked away from the table without giving Shawn a second look.