•Chapter 24•

Shawn Mendes
She looked awful.
She was pale, yet had dark circles under her eyes and her eyes were bloodshot.
Her lips were dry and I imagined she had had the same ponytail in for a few days.
I guessed that she hadn't been eating properly or getting enough water, because she looked like she was on the verge of collapse.
As soon as we got in the car she curled up in the front seat and  closed her eyes, and I brushed her disheveled ponytail off of her neck and face.
"Thank you." She whispered as we started driving and I looked back at Frances who was also nearly  fast asleep.
"Anytime."

I was glad when we made it to the house and she would be able to actually sleep properly. But I knew that I would have to ask her what was wrong in the first place.
While Frances stayed asleep in her car seat that we put on the sofa, Elara and I sat in the kitchen sipping on hot cups of coffee.
"What's been happening? I'm sorry but you look like shit." I said and she smiled weakly.
"Frances has started teething. So at the moment all the does is cry. And the crying is mainly at night but she cries during the day as well. I bought this stuff that goes on her gums to reduce the pain for her but it doesn't work." She explained and I nodded, just listening so I knew what to do.
"What can we do?"
"Just comfort her. I understand she's in a lot of pain but I haven't slept this whole week. I think I've had at most, two hours sleep each night." She sighed and I rubbed her upper arm.
"Where's Finn been? I thought he helped you out." I said and didn't realise I had hit a nerve until I looked up from my cup and saw that she was crying.
"He's told me he doesn't want to do this anymore. He wants to not feel obligated to help me with Frances. What could I say? But then he called me pathetic because I said I needed you. So I told him to just get lost." She said and I felt an anger bubble up inside me.

How dare he say that to her?
She's been struggling this whole time while I imagine he's just been going out.
Then he has the nerve to call her pathetic when all along she's truly exhausted and needs help.

"Where's Agnes been?" I asked.
"This week was our sort of break from classes so she went home." Elara yawned and I nodded.
"Elara im so sorry." I said and put my cup down to wrap my arms around her.
She cried into my chest as I rubbed her back and my heart broke as she cried so hard she couldn't catch her breath.
"Hey hey look at me." I said and knelt infront of her holding her face in my hands.
I wiped away her tears and she tried to take deep breaths.
"Look at me." I said again and she moved her eyes to meet mine.
"I-I just feel like a failure."
"You're a nineteen year old girl who's had a baby while trying to study at university. You've had to juggle everything on your own. You're doing brilliantly!" I said and she sniffled.
"And I've got to move out of my halls soon. And it's my birthday in a week." She said, a small smile appearing on her face.
"Elara if you want, and don't just say no straight away, why don't we get an apartment near your university, together?" I said and she froze.
"What?"
"We could get an apartment together so while you're at university I can stay here and look after Frances so you don't have to do it on your own anymore." I shrugged.
"C-can I think about it?" She said and I nodded.

I knew she was sceptical but it would be for the best. I had already spoken to management about lying low for a while and they had agreed, so I could be here with Elara and Frances.
Truth be told I was already looking at places near her university so I could be closer to her and help her out.
I had found a place that would be perfect for us three, I just hoped that if and when she saw it she would think the same.