•Chapter 19•

Elara Beck
Shawn promised me that he would step up and would always be there when we needed him. He promised to never ignore my calls or texts. We agreed that Shawn could see Frances every weekend that he wasn't busy, and that for the first few visits I would go with them. Finn wasn't at all happy that I was going to go with Shawn every weekend and of course I understood. But Shawn was Frances' father. What else could I say?

"Finn please talk to me." I said putting my hand on his shoulder as he sat at my desk and Frances lay sleeping in her cot.
"I don't get it Beck. Why would you just let him waltz in here and see her every weekend after he's done fuck all for that little girl?" He shouted and I held his arm pointing to Frances. He sighed and pulled me into his lap and I wrapped my arms around his neck.
"I'm sorry Beck."
"Hey listen to me, I can't deny Shawn to see her. She is technically his daughter. And if he says he'll help out then great. But you've been here for me through all this and I'm eternally grateful to you for that. You're amazing with her Finn and I can see she's so comfortable with you." I said and kissed his cheeks. He hugged me tight and I took in the smell of the cologne he was wearing.
I knew that I was lucky to have Finn.
But now my mind was conflicted.
While Finn was amazing, I still wanted Frances to grow up and have Shawn in the picture and know that he was her father.
I couldn't bring myself to tell Finn that that's what I was thinking. I knew it would make him feel upset.

But Finn wasn't stupid.
He knew that there was something playing on my mind.
He knew exactly what I was thinking.
"It's ok you know. I know it makes me feel mad, but he is her father. They deserve to know each other and when she grows up, she should know that he's her father. You can't feel worried of what I think." He said, stroking my hair.
"But you've been here."
"And now he's here. He's going to help you out, or so help me god." He said and I couldn't stop the grin forming on my lips.
"But just because he's here, you won't leave us will you?" I asked and he pressed a gentle kiss on my mouth.
"I'll only leave you when you say you don't want me here anymore." He said and we both smiled, just looking at each other and taking each other in. That was until Frances woke up and immediately started to cry.
I walked over to my daughter and picked her up, wiping the little tears off of her cheeks. I bounced her up and down a few times and placed small kisses all over her face until she started to kick her legs and a little toothless grin appeared on her face accompanied by gurgling sounds. I sat down on the edge of the bed with her and adjusted her baby pyjama onesie.
"You're so pretty. You know that? You're so smart and beautiful and you can do anything." I said as she put one of her little hands on my face.
"You know she can't understand you." Finn laughed.
"Well if I start telling her that now and every day then when she grows up hopefully she won't doubt it." I shrugged.
"She's lucky to have you as her mother." Finn said and I smiled.

I was enjoying the moment of just being there with Finn and Frances and imagining what would happen in the future, especially now that Shawn was in the picture.
It worried me slightly that she would get overwhelmed by having Shawn Mendes as her father. It worried me that she would get negative comments from others when she was a teenager or used. Not that I could change it and I was certain that Shawn wouldn't let anything bad happen to either of us.
No matter what had happened before and no matter what happens in the future, we're a family whether we chose to be or not and family protects each other.