Year three: First impressions and unfortunate events

Next morning YN and the girls barely made it to the Hufflepuff table through the packed Great Hall. The boys were already there, in the usual arrangement; Wayde with his nose buried in today's Prophet, Ernie poking through his food, half listening to Justin, who seemed rather satisfied by whatever it was he was saying, and not the least bit interested in his own breakfast.

'Morning.' Ernie lifted his head up, almost relieved as the girls joined them at the table.

'Have any of you noticed,' Justin began loudly 'that each year, it takes longer and longer for these three to get ready in the morning?'

YN leant against her left palm, with a bored expression upon her face.

'Have any of you noticed that, somehow, Justin always manages to find something to complain about?'

Justin narrowed his eyes, as YN offered a mocking grin in return.

'Oh,' Hannah glanced over at Wayde's timetable 'we're already starting some new subjects.'

'On that note,' Said Wayde, finally putting down this morning's Prophet 'you better shove it down quickly, Susan. Divination's on top of the North Tower.'

'You guys weren't joking then?' YN asked in between bites ''bout taking Divination?'

'Who jokes about their future, YN?' Justin laughed at his own attempt at a joke.

'I'll take it you'll be joining them?'

'Oh, no, I have no interest in such nonsense. I'll be joining Ernie in Muggle Studies.'

YN threw a quick glance at Ernie, who offered a sheepish smile.

'Muggle studies? But you-' she stopped mid-sentence, and almost pleaded 'Hannah?'

'I've a free period. Ancient Runes, remember?'

'You can join me in Arithmancy, then?'

'With Professor Vector? Don't think so.'

'What's wrong with - Come on! What kind of best friend are you?'

'One who's got her priorities straight.' YN took Hannah's grin as the end of the discussion.

YN poked at her food, listening to the murmurs that echoed throughout the Great Hall. With a thought in mind she glanced back, towards the Gryffindor table. For the first time she felt as though she needed an excuse to approach. For the first time she felt some strange uneasy feeling, as though she wasn't welcome there anymore. George seemed to be too involved in whatever discussion Fred was having with Angelina to notice. She hesitated to step over the bench, yet a move was meant to be made, before the whole thing started trembling along with her legs. She pushed through the feeling of unease, and off the bench.

'Where are you off to, already?' Hannah turned her way.

'I'm sure Hermione's taking Arithmancy, too.'

'Are you?' Ernie joined in 'Tought she was in Muggle Studies?'

'No, she's definitely in Divination.'

'Granger? In Divination? That's like-'

YN awkwardly bounced her way around the Ravenclaw table. If she remembered correctly, last year Hermione took it upon herself to take each and every one of the additional subjects. YN, for one, didn't have a single clue how even Hermione Granger could manage all that, but right now that was the last of her concerns – right now she needed someone she knew in her Arithmancy class.

'-came running into out compartment, didn't he Fred?' The instant those words reached her ears, YN came to regret leaving her own table. She knew far too well who George was talking about. It was a bad moment, definitely the worst moment she could have chosen. If only she would've turned around, that exact moment-