Yeat two: What an apology it was

It was now nearly four months since Justin and Nearly Headless Nick had been petrified, and nearly everyone seemed to think that the attacker, whoever it was, had retired for good. Peeves the Poltergeist had finally gotten bored of that awfully dreading song. And just last week in Herbology YN witnessed Ernie quite politely asking Harry to pass him a bucket of leaping toadstools.

Second-years were given something rather important to think about during their Easter holidays. A distraction from this disastrous school year. The time had come to choose their subjects for the following year. A matter which the Hufflepuffs seemed to have taken very seriously.

'I'm thinking of taking Divination. It's never too soon to think about the future, and this way – I'll see the future.' Said Wayde, feeling really proud of himself.

'Divination.' sighted Susan 'Breath-taking.'

'Guys, c'mon.' YN chucked 'I can read your palms. Is everyone seriously thinking about taking it?'

'I think Study of Ancient Runes sounds pretty amazing.' Said Hannah.

'It's Muggle Studies for me.' Ernie said, and for whatevere reason YN felt as though he was talking to her. And with solely that thought in mind, she looked up. And as though he was waiting for her to do so, his eyes locked with hers. Their eyes met, uncertain, somewhere on the verge of guilt and pride. Sometimes all she wanted was to have her friend back.

'But you don't know the first thing about muggles!' Wayde said, a tad bit dumbfounded.

'Precisely why.' Ernie said, averting his eyes.

'If Lockhart somehow survives this year, I'm giving up DADA.' Hannah mumbled, staring down at the list.

'Sorry to break it to you, but we have to keep all of our old subjects.' Said YN stepping over the bench. She made her way over to the Gryffindor table, in search of some better ideas.

Apparently everyone had a different approach when it came to difficult decisions. YN even tried writing to Tonks, but the reply she got wasn't of much help, to her at least. Tonks advised her to go with her instincts, which worked out perfectly fine for the bubble gum-hair, but not for YN. Certainly not for YN. Neville did something remotely similar, and asked his family for advice. In return, he had been sent letters from all the witches and wizards in his family, all giving him different advice on what to choose. Confused and worried, he sat reading the subject lists with his tongue poking out, asking people whether they thought Arithmancy sounded more difficult than the Study of Ancient Runes. Dean made it easy for himself. He ended up closing his eyes and jabbing his wand at the list, then picking the subjects it landed on. Hermione took nobody's advice but signed up for everything.

'Isn't that a bit much 'Mione?' YN asked with a sheepish smile.

Ron and Harry decided on same subjects, so in case one of them was rubbish in any, at least they'd have a friend to help them out. YN glanced down at her list, her head in her palm.

'Depends on where you want to go, YN.' said Percy, eager to share his experience. 'It's never too early to think about the future, so I'd recommend Divination. People say Muggle Studies is a soft option, but I personally think wizards should have a thorough understanding of the non-magical community, particularly if they're thinking of working in close contact with them. Look at my father, he has to deal with Muggle business all the time. And Charlie was always more of an outdoor type, so he went for Care of Magical Creatures. Play to your strengths, YN.'

'Well, take it this way,' George smiled, with a hand upon her shoulder 'if you follow in Charlie's footsteps, you'd get a chance to take care of Charmander!'