Year three: Our thoughts are our own, our fears as well

Draco did make a fuss about it. He didn't reappear in classes until late that Thursday morning. Ron told YN all about it on their way to their first Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

'He came swaggering into the dungeon, still covered in bandages and- And a sling!" Ron raised his voice, motioning to his own hand "Like he was a survivor of some dreadful battle! All 'cause of a small scratch!'

YN thought back to the blood splattered grass and that long, deep gash upon Draco's arm... Yeah, small scratch.

'Snape made me cut up his roots for him! You can imagine how I did it, cause Snape made me use 'em in the end!'

For the first time all four houses were having DADA together, and after taking once glance around the packed classroom, YN was certain it would be the last. Each and every seat was taken, and there were even more people standing up. Professor Lupin wasn't there when they arrived at his first lesson. They took out their books, quills and parchment and the chatter quickly filled the room. As Professor Lupin finally arrived, he smiled vaguely and placed his tatty old briefcase on the teacher's desk. He was as shabby as ever, yet YN couldn't help but notice he looked healthier than he had when they last saw him.

'Good afternoon.' he said 'Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will only need your wands.'

A few curious looks were exchanged as the class put away their books.

'Hope it goes better than the practical lesson Gryffindors had last year.' Wayde said, lazily tossing his bag over his shoulder. YN thought back to the time when Lockhart brought a cageful of Cornish pixies to class and set them loose. Not to mention he left Neville hanging by the candelabra... And unless you counted that, they've never actually had a practical lesson.

'Right then,' said Professor Lupin when everyone was ready 'if you'd follow me.'

Puzzled with interest, the class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, floating upside-down in mid-air and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away, then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into a song.

'Loony, loopy Lupin! Loony, loopy, Lupin! Loony, loopy, Lupin-'

Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect towards the teachers. YN, along with the rest of the class, turned her attention to Professor Lupin, eager to see how he would take this; to everyone's surprise, he was still smiling.

'I'd take that gum out of the keyhole, if I were you, Peeves.' He said pleasantly 'Mr. Filch won't be able to get to his brooms'

If anyone caused Filch more trouble than YN's bellowed twins, it must have been Peeves for sure. However, Peeves paid no attention to Professor Lupin's words; instead, he blew a loud wet raspberry.

'Now he's done it!' said Justin, who himself had had quite a few encounters with Peeves, over the years.

Professor Lupin gave a small sight and took out his wand.

'This is a useful little spell.' he told the class over his shoulder 'Please watch closely.'

He raised the wand to shoulder height, said 'Waddiwasi' and pointed it at Peeves.

With the force of a bullet, the wad of chewing gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down Peeves' left nostril. He whirled right way up and zoomed off, cursing.