Year two: More than words

Three days before her first exam, YN found herself sitting in the Great Hall, poking at her breakfast. Hannah who sat next to her was hopelessly staring down at her notes. Susan leaned her forehead on her own notes, probably hoping some of it would magically enter her brain. Fitting right? Wayde was frantically flipping through the pages of each and every book he owned.

'Can't believe they expect us to focus on revising with everything going on...' YN mumbled out, earning herself a sympathetic look from Ernie. Last few days she really got a hold of how much she had missed him.

'I have good news.' Professor McGonagall's voice echoed throughout the Hall, and the hall, instead of falling silent, erupted.

'Dumbledore is coming back!' several people yelled, joyfully.

'You've caught the Heir of Slytherin!' squealed a girl on the Ravenclaw table, right behind YN.

'Quidditch matches are back on!' she heard Wood roar enthusiastically from the other end of the Hall.

When the hubbub had subsided, Professor McGonagall said 'Professor Sprout has just informed me that the Mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those who had been Petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may well be able to tell us who, or what attacked them. I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with us catching the culprit.'

There was an explosion of cheering. Susan was on verge of tears. YN couldn't help but notice that Hannah was looking happier than she'd been in days. Wayde pushed his books off the desk and shook Ernie's shoulders. YN glanced at the teachers table, all the way up to Professor Sprout, who was beaming with pride. Yn stood up and clapped along with the rest, as a grin found its way to her face.

The grin didn't fade away until the History of Magic lesson. YN was staring out the window, thinking about the upcoming evening. She reached for her bag and searched with her fingers for a well-wrapped box. She glanced down and tightened the bow. She couldn't wait to see the look on Colin's face. To hear him rambling away. She couldn't wait to see Hermione with her head in a book, once again. She couldn't wait to hear Justin complain about something. She had the feeling that the house-elves down in the kitchens were already preparing a glorious feast. And she simply had to wait. A few more hours. A single bell before the break. For when she heard the bell she would know; everything would be as it was, and everything would be perfectly right.

But the bell to signal the break never came. Instead, echoing through the corridors came Professor McGonagall's voice, magically magnified.

'All students to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately please.'

---------------------------------------

'-you will be escorted down to the station by me, first thing in the morning. Each and every one of you is to board the Hogwarts Express to be taken home. But before I ask you to pack your trunks there is one more matter to be discussed-'

Once again YN found herself in the crowded Hufflepuff common room. She couldn't bare to listen to a word Professor Sprout was saying. She glanced down at her half opened bag, at the little box with a golden ribbon. The image of Colin's smile in her mind wasn't as clear. All her hopes for tonight, simply shattered. She didn't even want to imagine what must have happened for them to be sent home right away.

She reached for her bag, ready to go upstairs, slam down on her bed and cry. But Hannah seized her hand, with a horrified look on her face.

'Ginny.' She breathed out.

'Huh?'

'It was Ginny'" The words escaped her mouth in a form of a trembling whisper. 'Ginny was taken to the Chamber of Secrets.'