Year two: The urge

YN laid awake for hours that night. She kept tossing, turning and trembling. She couldn't silence her thoughts. What was she supposed to think? Harry couldn't possibly have known he was a Parselmouth... A year ago he barely even knew he was a wizard. She could have sworn the snake had backed away... but she wasn't sure. She wasn't sure about anything anymore.

She thought about slipping past the curtains and waking Hannah up. But that would probably mean waking the rest of the girls too. She though about going down to the common room, almost certain she could find Wayde by the fireplace. But she wouldn't have the heart to wake him up. She though around sending Ron an owl, to get a single clue about the whole situation. She even though about going down to the Hospital wing and pouring her eyes out at Colin's bedside. She dreaded at the mere though of the sight, for weeks. She felt a sudden urge to roll out of her bed and run past Filch all the way up to the Gryffindor tower. The urge to leap into the twins' arms, to pour her heart out. She felt the urge to have her best friends close. Suddenly she wished she was back at the Burrow, feeling warm, feeling safe. Through a gap in the hangings round her four-poster bed she watched the snow starting to drift past the tiny window and drifted off to sleep.

--------------------------------

By the next morning the snow that had begun in the night had turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of the term was cancelled. Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a tricky operation she would entrust to no one else, now that it was so important for the Mandrakes to grow quickly and revive Mrs Norris and Colin Creevey.

YN decided to spend her free period in the library, knowing the group was most likely to stay behind, as Justin refused to leave the common room due to the whole snake fiasco. It had started getting to everyone else's heads too. She couldn't help but notice how distressed Susan was at dinner, how unusually quiet Ernie was, or how lost in her thoughts Hannah seemed.

There she was, leaning against a shelf, her nose buried in Newt Scamander's 'A Children's Anthology of Monsters', when she heard a couple of hushed voices approaching. Peaking up from her book she noticed the usual gang; Hannah, Ernie, Susan and Wayde. They mustn't have noticed her, as they headed straight for the back of the library, past the Invisibility section. YN set her book down and carefully tip-toed in their tracks. Between the lines of long bookshelves, she could see their heads close together, in an absorbing conversation. She walked towards them, and when her own name was mentioned she paused to listen, hidden behind the bookshelves.

'-this would upset her. Harry is her friend and we have no right talking about this behind her back.' It was Hannah's voice.

'Hannah,' Ernie said in a hushed voice 'He's a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that's the mark of Dark wizard. I don't want YN hurt any more than you do, but if you think about it-'

'Yes exactly! Think!' Hannah snapped. YN felt a hand on her shoulder and quickly turned only to come face to face with the person she expected the least. Harry held a finger up to his lips, signalling her to be quiet. YN felt her stomach turn, and gave Harry a desperate look. He gave her shoulder a light squeeze before they put their ears to the ground and listened to the voices behind the shelf.

'Justin's been getting into your head, huh man?' Wayde asked.

'Well what he said last night kind of made sense.' Said Ernie 'Potter apparently had some sort of run-in with Filch. Next thing we know, Filch's cat's attacked. That first year, Creevey, was annoying Potter at the Quidditch match, taking pictures of him while he was lying in the mud. Next thing we know-' YN felt her eyes sting at the mere mention of Colin. She couldn't comprehend that Ernie actually believed this nonsense.