Year two: Beware

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. And just taking a single glance at Ginny at the Gryffindor table, YN knew exactly what Percy meant when he bullied her into taking some of Madam Pomfrey's Pepperup Potion. Ginny had been looking a bit peaky, and kept to herself even without Harry around.

Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days on end, the Lake rose, the flowerbeds turned into muddy streams. A certain Hufflepuff was doing the unimaginable, making her way up the Gryffindor tower. Taking into consideration the fact that last year she was dragged off right by the Fat Lady's portrait, all the way underneath Hogwarts, her visit was long overdue. A familiar tall figure was paced in front of the said portrait, before hearing the pants down the hall.

'Took you long enough.' George smiled coming to a halt.

'So – many – steps.' said YN, reaching for his arm for support.

'Why didn't you use a shortcut?'

'I – wanted – to... do it properly.'

Shaking his head George turned to the Fat lady saying 'wattlebird', and despite the weird glance YN received from the said Lady, the portrait swung open. YN went first, and was faced with a cosy, round room full of squashy armchairs. Despite the rain which was still lashing the windows, the Gryffindor common room looked all bright and cheerful. The firelight glowed over the countless squashy armchairs where people sat reading, talking, doing homework or – her eyes darted to a table surrounded by a knot of curious people, and landed on Fred's mischievous grin. Carefully placed in his hands, was the brilliant orange fire-dwelling lizard – a Salamander. Fred had 'rescued' the tiny creature from Care of Magical Creatures class earlier today, and YN spent whole lunch with the creature in her lap. Truth be told she was surprised it was still alive.

'Charmander!' YN squealed kneeling next to her best friend and gently stroking the creature.

She heard a few Gryffindors whispering amongst themselves... She wasn't sure what came a surprise; Her, probably being the first Hufflepuff to enter their common room, or the name she came up earlier that day.

'I'm soo glad you didn't go along with it. I was so worried-' she said, her eyes darting between the twins. George scratched the back of his neck as Fred raised her eyebrows.

'No... Guys, no... you didn't-'

Charmander suddenly whizzed into the air, emitting loud sparks and bangs as it whirled wildly round the room. The sight of Percy bellowing himself hoarse at Fred and George, the spectacular display of tangerine sparks showering from the Salamander's mouth, and its escape into the fire, accompanied with explosions, all leading up to YN's teary eyes.

'You fed him the Filibuster Fireworks, didn't you!'

--------------------------------

Halloween came by sooner than expected. The Great Hall was glittering invitingly, with it's golden plates and candles. It had been decorated with the usual live bats, much to Hannah's dislike, Hagrid's vast pumpkins that had been carved into lanterns large enough for three men to sit in and there were rumours that Dumbledore had booked a troupe of dancing skeletons for the entertainment. The rumour was started by none other than the infamous Weasley twins, who had smoothed things over with YN, after taking poor Salamander Charmander for a quick check down at Hagrid's before he was returned to the Care of Magical Creatures class. They shared glances and grins over the Ravenclaw table throughout the entire feast, which had gone by without any mention of trolls. They troupe of dancing skeletons did indeed join them, in form of fireworks. This year's feast was simply magnificent.