Year one: It says a lot about a person

Twins weren't messing with her head when they said Hogwarts had over a 100 staircases. Hogwarts had exactly 142, each one different and some even switching places! And ghosts appearing out of nowhere! But YN didn't mind a nice chat with the Fat Friar every so often. The real problem was Peeves, the poltergeist who loved to torture students, especially first years. She hadn't yet had a proper encounter with him, but she witnessed him pulling the rug right under Justin's feet and locking poor Neville in a cupboard. If YN remembered correctly, Neville had found his toad Trevor moments before they entered the Great Hall, but lost him again by Tuesday.

What fascinated YN even more than all the switching stairs were numerous secret passageways – on every corner! She took notice of how Filch, the school's caretaker, often appeared out of nowhere. She came to a conclusion he must have been using those same passageways twins had told her about. Rotating bookshelves, armour suits, statues and what not. She had actually bumped into the two yesterday morning when she got lost on her way to DADA. Which ended in Fred promising her she'll know at least half of the shortcuts by the end of the semester.

So far she'd only gotten a few chances to hang out with Ron and Harry outside of class. They sometimes joined her in the Clocktower courtyard. Ron had a tendency to point out how sorry he was that she got sorted into Hufflepuff, which never failed to throw her off. She didn't understand what made Gryffindor so special. Truth be told, she didn't know what she liked less- History of Magic with Slytherins or Charms with Gryffindors. Mostly because of Hermione. Her hand was always up in the air, even if Professor Flitwick didn't necessarily ask a question. She tried so hard to do everything first. On the other hand YN found some new friends among the trouble-making Gryffindors. Two boys who she sat in-between of in Charms class; Seamus Finnigan, who apparently had a habit of blowing things up and Dean Thomas who was quite good at art. He even showed her his sketchbook. It appeared as if he had only drawn magic related stuff since receiving his Hogwarts letter (which was also included).

By the end of the week YN had a decent sized letter to write, but more importantly three essays - due to Monday! That was another problem she faced while sharing a classroom with Gryffindors; they often got in trouble, dragging the rest of the class with them. After their double Potions with Slytherin the other day, Professor Snape was in such a faul mood that both Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were assigned an essay before even stepping into the classroom.

It was already Thursday lunch time and YN found herself sitting at the Hufflepuff table scowling at Hannah. Her blonde haired friend was laughing her head off ever since Flying Lessons this morning. The image of YN's broom smacking her fingers each time she demanded for it to go 'up' simply couldn't fade away. Ernie was feeling quite proud of himself for succeeding on his first try. Justin and Susan were both sulking, him for getting smacked in the face by his broom, her for not being able to lift hers off the ground. YN reassured them that their lesson went far better than the Gryffindor-Slytherin one that followed, as far as Ron had informed her. She promised herself to go check on Neville later on. Poor boy had no luck whatsoever. Not with his frog, not in Flying Lessons and certainly not in Potions! By the time lunch came around there were whispers around the school that Potter was declared the youngest Seeker in the last century! Neither YN nor her friends knew whether to believe the rumours or not; for rumours found their way around Hogwarts rather fast, but they weren't what they were made out to be all that often. She had to check it for herself.

It had been a while since the twins asked her to join them for lunch, but the sole though of her, a Hufflepuff sitting at the Gryffindor table turned her into a bundle of nerves. But this was her chance, she had the perfect excuse. She glanced over the Ravenclaw table every once in a while to check if either Ron or Harry appeared. And the sight of a familiar ginger-haired figure was her cue. Excusing herself she stepped over the bench and made her way across the Hall. As odd as she felt walking by the older Gryffindor students she couldn't feel a single glance on her. Until a certain sandy-haired fellow jumped in her way.