Year three: Christmas

The following morning however, Tonks appeared much less understanding towards YN's troubles, and the younger female found herself practically dragged away from the breakfast table.

'You're coming along!' Tonks said throwing each of YN's boots her way 'You've put this off long enough!'

And that was the end of the discussion, if there ever was any. Tonks made it clear she wouldn't take no for an answer, and YN had no choice than to oblige, as she found herself long out of excuses anyway. 

They went up and down the hills which separated her house from the Burrow, threading their way through the fresh snow. Tonks, who bounced her way across, glanced back at her companion every so often, flashing a grin under her frost-bitten nose. YN's breaths were uneasy and she dragged her feet, following in the older female's footsteps, her stomach twisting with each step she took. She stopped in her tracks as the Burrow came into view, letting Tonks walk on, and let out a heavy sight she didn't know she was holding in.

Only then did she take notice of another figure, who appeared to be dusting off his long travelling cloak by the back door.

'Wotcher, Arthur!' said Tonks, skipping the last few paces.

Mr. Weasley turned on the spot, fixing his horn-rimmed spectacles.

'Tonks, YN!' he greeted the duo, as YN finally caught up 'Been a while since I've seen the two of you together!'

'Are you only coming home now?' 

Mr. Weasley simply nodded and offed a sheepish smile, but YN didn't fail to notice just how exhausted he looked. 

'But it's practically Christmas!' Tonks pointed out, shaking the snow off her boots.

'Precisely.' Arthur sighted 'Work always keeps piling up around the holidays...'

He took a second glance at YN, who shoved her hands deeper into her pockets. 

'Go on in, then.' he said 'Quite nippy today, don't want to lose your nose. Tonks doesn't have to worry about that, does she?' he chuckled.

'I'd just replace it with a beak.' Tonks said, letting out a bark-ish laugh.

YN hesitantly glanced from one to the other, but the look Tonks gave her only urged to do as she was told. 

'Finished up early, this time of year?' the chatter went on, as she close the door behind her. 

She let herself be embraced by the warmth, the noise and the smell of breakfast that filled the kitchen. She took off her coat, and felt it almost slip out of her fingers. She pushed her hair out of the way, behind her ear and took a shaky breath.

'Mo...Morning...' she muttered out.

Her eyes darted forward to the table where the twins sat, tousle-haired and puffy-eyed. George froze with his fork still in the air, as though he thought his own sight had tricked him. Fred held her eye, a look of guilt under his furrowed eyebrows. YN stood in the doorway, firmly holding onto her cloak and even though she yearned to move forward, her feet wouldn't let her; as though it wasn't just the table that separated her from the two. 

Mrs. Weasley curiously poked her red head from the sound of clitter and clutter that filled her kitchen.

'YN, dear!' She smiled, wiping her hands against her apron. 'You haven't been around much.'

YN felt her cheeks flare up with the familiar surge of guilt.

'I got worried these two had something to do with it.' Molly said, lightly tugging onto the twins' ears.