Sixteen

VALENTINE'S SPECIAL
(I know it's late... sorry)

Drake stepped out of his carriage and smiled at a group of aristocrat ladies.

He looked up at the magnificent castle before stepping in past the guards. the golden chandeliers sparkled against the glow of the candles.

"Lord Drake, so glad you could join us!" Lady Eleanor called, holding out her hand as she came over to his side. He took her hand and kissed it, "Glad to come, m'lady."

He followed the young woman into her elegant ballroom, "I hope you do not mind but I have taken the pleasure of filling your first few slots of your dance card." Eleanor continued, "She's such a nice young girl, Drake, and beautiful. She just came back from her trip to the Americas and does not seem to know anyone so I decided why not introduce her to a fine fellow, such as you self?"

They passed countless numbers of beautiful, masked woman, most of them throwing him a look that said 'Come dance with me!' But for Lady Eleanor's sake (and by Edwards request) he followed her to her husband.

"Dear Katharine, remember the Lord I was telling you so much about? Well, he finally graced us with his presence."

Drake laughed and looked up from his hands at the woman. She wore a soft blue dress, all silk with small lace and ribbons on the bodice. Her skin was fare and her hair was white as snow. Small curls framed her delicate face.

She, out of the the woman he had seen, was the most beautiful one.

He had fallen in love.

He stepped forward and kissed her awaiting hand, "You must be the young maiden I hear about."

"And you, My lord, must be the handsome Drake. Eleanor does not lie, I see." Her voice answered back, soft and rich.

"Care to dance, my Lady?"

They stepped out of the crowd of bystanders and into the crowd of dancers, leading into a perfected waltz that only a French Aristocrat would know.

Her hand was so soft against his calloused hands. Her laugh was pure.

"I see you are French, my lady." He noted out loud. She nodded, "My family was one of the few to survive the French Revolution with everything intact. I do, though, like to travel."

He raised an eyebrow, "Do you plan on settling down?"

She raised her emerald eyes to meets his, "When I find the right man, I shall rest in one place, but until then, my lord, I will continue to explore."

He turned her in a half circle, "How do you know I am not the right one, my lady?"

She stopped and pulled away from him, walking away from the ballroom and onto the marble balcony.

He went after her, "Katharine, I was just..." He couldn't find the words to express what he was trying to say. Mainly, because they're were none.

"My lord, may I just say something?" She finally said, "I do not appreciate being toyed around with like a... If you were to be serious, I would gladly except spending time with you but if not, I shall leave right now."

"My lady, if you weren't you, and just another one of those ladies out there, I pretend to like you but the truth of the matter is that you have lured me into a trap that I have vowed never to fall into. I have fallen in love with you. Your so far quirky attitude {she huffed at the statement} your smile and laugh. Everything from your personality to your stunning beauty. It would be a honor to spend more time with you."

"I somehow find that very cliché." She retorted.

He watched the woman as she disappeared back into the crowd again to dance with someone else.

Women.

~~~~~~

Drake walked out of the ballroom, finally getting away from the clutches of the woman.

He ran his hands through his hair and sighed. Edward has defiantly rubbed off on me.

He loosened his neck dressage and continued towards the doors when he heard a faint sound.
He turned on his heel and looked at the staircase, where a small angel crouched on the floor, her head in her small hands.

"Katharine?" He questioned, taking small, careful steps towards her.

She looked up at him and started whipping at her face, "I probably look like a fool. Crying like a broken-hearted girl."

Drake creased his brow, "No, you don't look like that. You look like a girl who needs some help."

She stood and shook her head, "I can take care of myself, thank you very much."

Drake grabbed her hands, "Wait, let me fix you. Just give me one chance, please Katharine."

Her tear brimmed eyes met his clear ones, "I-I..."

"Just one chance, that's all I'm asking for." He offered.

"One chance, Drake."

Sneak peak of the next book of The Bride Series!!

Update soon, I promise!!

~Jess Sanders