Fifteen

Annalisa looked down at the crib where her son slept peacefully, sucking gently on his thumb. Her hands scoped down to brush his soft hair before turning back to her bed with a sigh.

Where was he?

Edward had been missing for hours upon agonizing hours, leaving Annalisa to stand over her son while worrying about his father.

For weeks he had been like this- missing or awake at night, staring at the ceiling. Annalisa couldn't remember the last time he had slept or had even eaten with them.

Once more, Annalisa paced back to the door, hoping it would open.

"Edward," She whispered, "Come back, please." She walked to the open window, sitting on the small alcove it produced for her and stared down at her kingdom.

How did such a small kingdom bring such large problems? How did it bring their relationship together crumbling down so quickly?

They were once in love and now, with her son and all, they were on two separate ships. Ships that had sailed too far away for too long. And oh, how she missed him by her side.

She thought that being queen would bring her closer to her husband but it only made the rift between them larger. She had her own list of duties to fulfill, not to mention being a mother. 

Annalisa stood once more and walked to the door, flinging it open.

It was now or never.

She started running past the hundreds of doors, her feet sending her as fast as she could go. She carefully ran down the servants' corners, turning sharp corners.

She pushed open the heavy doors to his study and ran towards him, as he stood, shocked.

She threw herself into his arms and forced his head down to kiss. She didn't want to release him. She wanted his full attention- all on her.

"Annalisa-" he breathed, but she stopped him.

"No, you have been ignoring me far too long. You promised when you first became king that you wouldn't ignore me and you did. Edward, I can't bear this. You said you loved me but I don't feel it." She looked at his warm brown eyes, "I want to hear you say it. Please-"

He looked up at a guard as they said something unheard to her ears, "Edward?" She questioned, as he started to walk away. she followed him up the stairs and to their room, making their way to her child's crib.

"Where is he?" He asked, pointing to the empty crib.

Annalisa stared at it completely shocked. She had only left for a moment and her son was gone?

"This, Annalisa, is all your fault. You were too childish to stay with your son and now he's gone!" Edward sneered.

"I-I didn't do it..." She stuttered, grasping the edge of the bed, chest heaving.

Edward stepped closer, "How can I love a woman- no, a child that can't even wait for a few minutes with her own child? You selfish..." He raised his hand to strike her, causing her to fall to the floor.

And suddenly she was back in her room, gasping for air. Her eyes met with piercing blue ones, "E-Edward..." She gasped.

The piercing blue eyes disappeared, leaving her to clutch the sheets, gasping for air.

She turned to look at the cradle beside her bed, "Oh, what are we going to do."

Annalisa stood and walked over to her sitting chair by the window, right by the fire. She picked up her book, hoping to distract herself from the persistent thoughts in her head. As she turned to her page, something fell in her lap.

Curious, she picked it up and tore open the dark seal. A dark cloud settled over her as she remembered her past once again. She closed the letter and went back over to the cradle, picking her son up. "It's okay, darling. Mother will protect you."