Twelve

He walked through a cemetery, tears staining his cheeks.

The icy wind tore at his cheeks as his feet crushed the frozen snow. His lips were plastered into a small grimace. He pushed open an iron gate, which groaned in protest. 

He started to pass along some large gravestones, not bothering to stop until he got to the one gravestone with an angel on top.

He held back sobs as he stared at the stone statue. The Angel looked so much like her. His angel.

He should have listened to her. He had been so wrapped up in his affairs that he hadn't saved time for her. He had ignored her altogether.

He fell to his knees, covering his face with his glove-covered hands.

He cried unlike he had ever done before, uttering words the words he wished he could tell her, "I'm so sorry."

His hands grabbed a fist full of snow as if to want to pull the young girl's soul out of the grave.

"I'm so sorry, love. I didn't know that such a miracle could also be such a curse. I promise to always do my best to take care of them- a little boy and girl. Little Anna and Henry. Annalisa, I cannot live without you, my love." He whispered, before choking on a sob again.

He heard the snow crunch behind him, causing him to turn quickly to see who had followed.

He saw a girl, clothed in scarlet, black and white lace trimming all around the dress.

Her hands were gloved but her shoulders were only covered but a thick layer of dark curls.

She raised one finger and curled it as if to beckon him to her.

He stood and closed his eyes.

This had to be a dream.

Edward's eyes flew open once more to find himself back in the bedroom he had grown accustomed to after a while of being King.

He unclasped the sheets and gasped in relief. His heart was still clenching from the thought of losing Annalisa. He sighed remembering her being next to him.

He looked next to him, expecting to see her curled up on her side of the bed but when he looked, there was nothing but bedding.

His heart stopped.

No, this couldn't be happening, not again.

He looked around the room frantically, looking for his wife.

His pregnant wife.

"I see you finally woke up." He heard her call out, "Over by the door, Edward."

He turned his head to see her leaning against the door, smiling brightly.

"You left the bed." He accused, pointing to the empty bedside.

"You were having a bad night dream. And thrashing." She pointed out, crawling back into bed.

He kissed her softly and ran his large hand over her non-visible bump, "I am sorry love."

"At least you were sleeping." She sighed and ran her hand along his face, "You need to shave in the morning."

"But it's to much work." He complained, pulling her back into the bed. He attempted to place a kiss on her lips but she pulled her face away from him.

She cuddled into his side and kissed his side, "I love you, Edward."

He smiled gently and stroked her face, "And I love you and our child."

Her eyes closed softly as he pulled her closer, knowing that at least for now, she was safe with him.