Fourteen

Edward walked over Lord Murrain's circle of friends who chatted smoothly, sipping their wine gobbets.

"May I join you?" He asked, stepping into the circle.

The men bowed and nodded in agreement, caring on their conversation. He took his place next to Drake, who seemed to be leading their conversations.

"He's already overthrown the bloody Frenchmen and half of Italy, how could he not go after England?" Drake said, trying to start a new conversation.

"For one, England is becoming a quite powerful country and two- it's a little far. If we have anyone to worry about, it shall be the Frenchmen. They have always had a place to take our kingdom and now they are out of our way. Shall we not be grateful then?" Murrain argued, pointing his finger at him.

"Oh please, you really believe anyone would avoid such a country? I warn you now, my King, I believe you should watch our country for the better." Another noble uttered.

Edward raised his eyebrows and snorted.

How could you think of such an absurd idea? Then again, that Peter boy was after his Annalisa...

His strange acting love, in the recent weeks, had turned a little cold-hearted and hadn't wanted to be touched. He assumed it was those hormones but then again, what did he know?

"I hate to say this but I think that the King has got more than a little war on his head." Lord Newberry stuttered as a woman walked passed the group.

Drake followed Lord Newberry's gaze before laughing, "My friend, I think it is about time to find you a chair... Or a bed."

The men laughed, before tossing their heads back to drink.

"I propose that..."

A series of gasps and astonished whispers started as a voice called, "My King, King Edward!"

Edward's heart stopped as he turned, "Bridget?"

The redhead maid fell to her knees gasping for air, "My lord... Annalisa... We ain't sure but we be thinkn' that the babe... Annalisa be bleeding at the hips, my lord."

Edwards goblet fell from his hands, as he pushed himself forward.

He took the stairs two at a time, his heart racing at an immortal speed.

His Annalisa, his love, his wife was bleeding from the hips while carrying his child. He had heard of such a complication as spoken between birthing wives- it didn't sound good at all. He wasn't prepared to lose her nor was he prepared to give up his child.

He threw open the door, to find Lady Eleanor and a couple of maids swarming around his Queen, who laid hopelessly on the bed.

They all turned silently towards him and backed away as he walked to her side, kneeling on the floor.

"Edward... I need my Edward. Please, Lady Eleanor, I want... I need him." She whimpered helplessly, reaching for blank air.

"Darling, Annalisa, I am right beside you. I am not leaving you." He promised, kissing her hand.

"Edward... So much pain... My baby... I thought he was gone... My baby is dying, help us!" She tossed her head side to side.

"The birth mother?" He asked, looking at Eleanor.

She nodded, "I sent Bridget after you first, on her request."

He nodded back and turned his attention back to her. The sheets were soaked a dark crimson color and smelt of sweat. His love was suffering.

All because of him.

~~~~~~

The nurse picked her skirts up full of bloody rags and smiled at the King, who had curled himself up with his son in the rocking chair.

It was a nice change of mood from the screaming, agonizing cries of the Queen to the soft, melodic cries from the prince.

Little Prince Edward the fourth.

The exhausted mother finally rested against the pillows watching sleepily as he husband smiled down at her tiny son.

Four pounds two ounces to be exact- a miracle itself that he had lived. He was two weeks early too.

Annalisa reached out for her son and the happy father gladly but reluctantly handed his son to her.

She smiled gently as she ran her hand over his small fuzz, "He looks like you."

Edward smiled back, "He's got some of you in him- a true blessing."

She gently kissed his head and held him close.

"Annalisa..." Edward asked.

Annalisa hummed her reply.

"Let's start again, tonight?" He asked her, kissing her hand.

She glared at him sternly before turning her attention back to her son, "I am content with Edward for now."

"He is perfect, isn't her. I am so proud of you, Annalisa." Edward said as he climbed into bed next to her. He pulled her close to his chest and simply enjoyed being able to hold her and his wife.